xantia 96N

well its finally happened. Its always been well known thats theres very little feedback from the steering on the Xantia, and i managed to proove it the other night when i
managed a 180 on a main road coming into my home town (derby). A word of warning to all xantia drivers (or rather the ones who have not experienced ice and bad weeather in one yet). The first notice you get that the car has other ideas on its direction is when its happening.. theres NO feedback from the steering at all. Makes it a bit difficult in these conditions.
The car and me are fine, nothing major just ended up backwards but it could ahve been worse. So be careful all you out there. (that goes out to everyone in any condition but take extra care now).
Rob

Rob,
Do elaborate on how you managed it. A front wheel drive eurobox with ABS and the handbrake on the front wheels is possibly the least likely car to manage a spin...
CAS
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:04:01 -0000, "CAS"

Lift-off oversteer?

That's what I was eluding to (especially the fact that "theres NO feedback from the steering at all" - there wouldn't be. But even that ain't too easy in an oleo-pneumatic unless
a) you are being a bit too gung-ho (however I did once manage to get the XM V6 drifting by using full sail and a humpbacked bridge with a bit of a corner...)
and/or
b) you have some suspension issues
(Although saying that I'm not up on Xants, being a BX/XM man...)
CAS

its a model without ABS aswell although this i dont feel to be an issue.
it span very quickly aswell. ended up almost backwards. wasn't driving too quickly for icy conditions wasn't accelerating har or braking hard at the time... just decided to go elsewhere..... uncorrectable (tried that) just went right round.
as i said. it was icy.
Rob

Been there, done that, in a Xantia!
All I did was go round a bend on hard packed snow at about 10mph (Should have stayed home in the warm!) and the back just kept going round. ABS was no help; I wasn't braking. Full 360, dinging the back on a garden wall. Not TOO much damage...
Andrew

about 35max at the time. its a 60 limit and well as a rule i'd do 50+ round that bend. its nothing too sharp just long. I knew it was icy an i know what they can be like so was traveling alot slower than normal. didn't hit anythin at all. not even a kerb lucky in that sense and even more lucky there was nothign coming the other way.
I've found out since that there were a couple of near misses on that road that night. so it must have just been a bad spot for ice that they didn't grit.
Rob
Rob Beech ( snipped-for-privacy@robbeech.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

With all due respect, Rob, the fact you spun it points rather conclusively to the fact you WERE driving too quickly for the road surface.
Out of interest, what tyres have you got on it?