Xantia Accumulator Sphere

Page 2 of 2

At ambient temperature how much does it happen?

Agreed.
Well, y'see there's a bit of your problem. Metals aren't made from tiny molecules. Everything is made from atoms, yes, but the structure varies quite a lot. You've got conventional covalent molecular bonds in the little molecules like notrogen and water, going to bigger ones like octane, proteins, DNA, polythene, etc. Minerals can use the same bonds - eg diamond, quartz, and that can lead to some quite big lattices. Then you've got the ionic bonds - eg as in salt - that's not really a molecular structure at all. Then you've got weaker bonds holding the molecules together - eg hydrogen bonding in water and most molecules involved in life. Then you've got metals, which are something else altogether. Great lattices of metal atoms, with electrons whizzing about all over the place, all shared (hence electrical and thermal conductivity). You can squeeze some smaller atoms into the lattice - eg carbon for steel, and nitrogen, but that's as atoms - the Nitrogen doesn't exist as the gas molecule. Metals also tend to have a crystal structure - look eg at the surface of galvanized steel - where different lumps of these great lattices meet.
cheers, clive
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
You can squeeze some smaller atoms into the lattice.
Or if we could split one!! now theres another thread!
Clive, you obviously know tor molecules and atoms.
Where you my physics teacher? cos I diddnt listen very well did I, D-
Regards. Slim.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
No No No
Please don't try to even crack open the main accumulator sphere with the pressure on, you only need to do this with the rear suspension spheres and this is to stop the cylinders from moving.
To remove. Undo the 12mm bleed screw on the regulator by 2 turns max. Using a wrench, undo the sphere. Remove the O ring from the grove. Replacing, Fit the new O ring in the grove, Screw on the replacement sphere, as tight as you can get it by hand only. Start the engine and run for approx 2 mins Tighten the bleed screw.
The best tool for the job is a band wrench from Pleiades www.pleiades.uk.com Or give them a ring on 01487 831239 I have used and abused mine for years and still aint broke it.
Recon spheres ? How does that work then ? I have allways used recon spheres without any worries again from pleiades, the spheres are guaranteed for 2 years unlimited milage!! They dont have new membranes as they are sealed and I dont think that you could replace the membranes, but Pleiades tell me that the spheres are all inspected before re pressurising, thats why they can give them a long guarantee
Sorry if this post comes out twice, but I had an error message with the first time I replyed!!! Regards. Slim.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

For that sort of money It's not worth buggering about doing it yourself.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Is there a postcode at all for these guys as save me buggering about under the bonnet and all in the future :o)
Ta, Will
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Will Morrow ( snipped-for-privacy@chavman.chav) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do you need your nose blowing for you as well?
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=westroen
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
gurgled happily, sounding much like

Achoo ;o)
Thank you :o)
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
No No No Please don't try to even crack the main accumulator loose with the pressure up.
You only need to do this with the rear suspension, this is to hold the cylinder still.
To remove the main accumulator, Undo the bleed screw by a max of 2 turns, Using a suitable wrench undo the sphere. Remove the old O ring.
Replacing. Put the new O ring in the grove first, Screw the replacement sphere on as tight as you can do it by hand. Start the car up and run for approx 2 mins Tighten the bleed screw.
The best tool for the job is a band wrench from Pleiades www.pleiades.uk.com or give them a ring on 01487 831239, I have been using and abusing my band wrench for years and still aint broke it.
Regards. Slim
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Aha it's the pressurising bit it was missing. Ta muchly.
I knew the back struts had to be pressurised before cracking the spheres but I didn't know about the accumulator.
--
Malc

Permitted to use the outs de lan
‚úĖ
Malc wrote:

works all round on sticky spheres, apparently, but wait for others to chip in with a solution.
hth
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

remove
snapped
socket
There's your problem.
Crack the sphere with the egnine running, the system pressurised. Crack the seal, and NO more. i.e. about 1/16th of a turn. Then depressurise.
Tim..
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Tim (remove obvious) wrote:

Let me guess - more than 1/4 turn and they unscrew themselves - FAST!
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Very FAST.
For all of those asking about recon spheres, apparently it has been a bit of a bugger in the past to obtain new OEM parts and there is a good trade in recon spheres. The ones removed from your car go back to be worked on for reuse. There is no performance difference on the quality of the recon spheres compared to the OEM units, they work exactly the same way.
Getting them off is the bugger though.
The other fault that you can diagnose if you have a suspension issue is the pump unit. Apparently it ticks every so often as it adjusts but if the ticking rate is under 30 seconds or coming reasonably fast, the pump is suspect. Again, an easy change job if you have the time and inclination. The major killer though of the whole system is and always will be dirty suspension fluid which will just wreck the whole thing over time.
PDH
Add pictures here
‚úĖ