Xantia Aircon Update

Well I went to Halfords and bought a 20 quid can of combined refrigerant, oil and leak sealant. Put the car onto max height and set the aircon running. There are two valves, one on each of the pipes going to the compressor, however the nozzle on the can only fits one of them so that solves that question. Give the can a good shake, attach to valve and press button. After a while prize frozen fingers off can.

And ......... hey presto cold air coming out of air vents. Also I only seemed to use half a can so I've got some for later. I can see coolant circulating in the sight glass on the thingummy whatsit under the bonnet and I've been for a half hour drive and it's still cold.

Result I'd say

Reply to
Malc

The only question that I have on its success, is how does the can know when the system is full??

When I used to do Aircon, the system fill was measured by weight, not pressure or volume.

So I am not gonna say that the can fill method is wrong, as obviously some company has researched the whole thing, and it works on your car.

But, if the weight of gas is so critical when filling ( and it is on the machine) How does the can system work? also if it does work so well, will there be aircon recharging firms going bust all over the country.

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

It did say on the can to put all of it in. But after 5 minutes nothing more seemed to be happening. I know my compressor is leaking and a recon one is £100 + fitting and regassing so that's about £200 all in. I guess the pressure in the system was just too low for the aircon to work.

The point is that I know the diy solution isn't the best but I just want shot of the car now and I can't be arsed to spend any more money on it than I really have to.

Reply to
Malc

"Malc" > > The only question that I have on its success, is how does the can know

The cylenders sold in Halfords seem to be of Spanish origin. They also have a guage fitted to the hose, so that the pressure can be checked. On my old 405, when the aircon sprang a leak, the compressor solenoid would not pull in until the pressure was up to a certain minimum. That was on the old type gas though. But it does suggest that the system measures the pressure to see if there is enough gas to allow it to work. Also, according to the marking on the guage, and information with it, you can over-pressurize the system too.

Reply to
Brian

The cylinder I bought just had a hose on it. The ones with a guage were about twice the price. I'm pretty sure there is a pressure measurement done in the aircon system because mine stopped functioning but immediately started once I used the can. That and I've read it somewhere else too.

Reply to
Malc

There is a pressure sensor in the system, this will cut the power to the compressor in the event of low pressuer in the aircon system, a good idea as it will stop you from ruining the compressor by running it dry.

The bit that I cant get me head round is that the aircon gas contents are measured by weight, if you look in the autodata books ( or any other) this will tell you the weight of gas to put in.

The can method obviously works, and I am all for saving a few quid, I just cannot understand how or why???

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

Yes but if the system loses a bit of gas, just enough to trip the low pressure switch, then a quick squirt of the can puts enough back in for it to function. It's not like I'm replacing the entire contents just bringing it up to a functioning level.

Reply to
Malc

I wonder what was a typical range of fill weights for typical cars?

I imagine the spread would be quite small given the way cars are designed these days ... (conventional layout, std gas, "std" pipe lengths and diameters, std compressor suppliers, matrix sizes etc) - and given the tolerances applied to most engineering systems I expect a fill to pressure would be perectly acceptable ...

I've been waiting to try one of these kits myself as my Xants AC is a bit feeble in hot weather

drd

there be aircon recharging firms going bust all over the country.

Well the compressor on mines noisey as owt, condensor leaks too. but it keeps working. To me its not worth getting this repaired if i can keep it topped up with one of these. Have it regassed properly about.. well about now actually.....writes note......and keep it topped up.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech