xantia bad starter

i have a 1997 xantia 1.9td 140,000mls. it recently became very hard to start, it turned over ok but just took ages to fire up, and when it did it sent loads of blue smoke out, so fuel is getting through ok. i have replaced all the glow plugs and now it starts ok from cold but still takes ages to start from warm. once started it runs well burns no oil etc. Has anyone else had this problem ?

Reply to
keith price via CarKB.com

mine (96N) starts fine first thing in the morning, infact its almost started as i open the door its that quick. It does however take a little longer when warm. alot of diesels do. I am talking just over a second here it doesn't have to be turning over long. its just longer than when cold which is instant.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

have you changed all 4 of the glow plugs?

Reply to
mindwipe

Rob Beech decided to add:

Check the Diesel filter - could well be some condensated water in there..

Reply to
bigjon

And if so how? I tried to do it on my Xantia 1.9TD LX and I could only get to two of the plugs and that with difficulty. I let my little man who does do it for me in the end. The BX engine was a doddle but theis Xantia one is a right pig for getting to things. 2 bloody spanners inthe Haynes Bol indeed

Reply to
Malc

its not easy but i can do them thing is a lot of people dont do all 4 and it can cause problems the least of which is bad starting the worst of which is the old glow plug breaks off and the end of it ends up on top of the piston with quite noisy results its worthwhile changing all 4 whenever probs occur on my xantia and indeed on my 406 which i had later i made sure i changed all 4 at 50000 miles in both cases this was when i bought the car so i changed timing belt at same time i know this is a bit paranoid for some people but i like to feel safe and the cost isnt drastic and it usually lasts until i get rid of the car 4 years after

Reply to
mindwipe

Malc ( snipped-for-privacy@lightindigooverthere.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There's two different types of injection pump.

One's a pain and hides two glows nicely. The other's FAR worse.

Reply to
Adrian