Xantia HDI fans - always on

Hi Folks,
The fans on my Mum's HDi engined Xantia are switching on continuously, even with the air-con switched off, and the engine cold. The water temp gauge
does work, so the sensor that uses is fine. The aircon needs regassing, and is left switched off. Any suggestions for what might be the cause of this? I know it isn't a major problem in itself, but I wonder if there might be a temp sensor gone wonky somewhere, or something.
Any help muchly appreciated.
Cheers, Albert
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

I had the problem with my '94 Xantia X1 2.0i 8V petrol engine. The fans would not stop even when the ignition was off and the engine was cold. Besides that sometimes the overheating light and the stop light went on, however the water temperature gauge remained under 50 degrees (which seems reasonable). My repair shop exchanged an electronic control unit named "Bitron", which cost me some 300 Euros;-(
Frank
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
in haute in die Tasten:

Ouch. I'm hoping it's a temperature sensor, or possibly the aircon-pump fan switch thing. I think (hope :) the situation with my mum's car is probably slightly different to yours - there are no coolant warnings, and the fans only come on when the ignition is on.
Thanks for the reply.
Albert
BTW, I thought a normal operating temperature (coolant) was around 85- 90C? 50 sounds quite low if that's right.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
. My repair shop exchanged an

os;-(

If you can locate the Bitron unit, try unplugging it and then replacing the plug, preferably with some wd40 sprayed onto the contacts. This cured a similar fault on and older 405.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Yes. 50įC is quite low. When I drive my car in city traffic, it takes about ten minutes to have the coolant temperature rise to 90 degrees. Then the gauge stands fixed, no matter how hard I push the car. Oil temperature is a different matter. It will take far longer to get the oil to 90 degrees, and temperature will rise to 120, if you happen to drive longer distances at high speed (100 mph or above). Oil temperature will decrease, if you slow down for a while.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
‚úĖ
haute in die Tasten:

The HDI's do run cooler than the old derv engines.although 50 is low. (but if the fans are on.....) I have a 96N 1.9td xantia with fans that dont work at all at the moment. (worrying in city traffic ...especially as i live in the city centre). my normal runing temp is around 80degrees and doesn't move much where as an identical car up the road from me has a running temp of about 90. I dont think it makes too much difference.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ