Xantia heater switch

I've read some earlier posts on Google about this, but I could do with a bit of clarification as I'm no auto electrician.
A friend brought her car to me because the heater fan will only work when the
engine isn't running, and even then sometimes it won't work. Most time you can turn the ignition on and the fan works as normal at all settings, but as soon as the engine is started, the fan stops and won't start again until the engine has been stopped.
Is this the ignition switch problem I have seen mentioned on Google? And if so, is there any way to effect a repair without buying a complete new ignition switch? I can't imagine them being the cheapest switch around. I did see mention of using a solenoid to do the job, which I could manage with a diagram if there is one available.
Merry Christmas to those that celebrate it.
The Grinch :)
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
curls wrote:

Hi Grinch, this certainly sounds like the infamous ignition switch problem. At the times when the fan doesn't work does the heated rear screen work? They get power from the same set of contacts on the switch. I have a circuit diagram for a relay modification that remedies this and can email it to you if you like. I just need a valid email address :-)
Before I modded mine I used to get the revs to about 2000 and quickly turn the ignition off and on again - if your quick enough the engine doesn't have time to die - and this would usually get it working (temporarily).
If you're in the UK then Citroen dealers will only sell you a complete switch/steering lock at some extortionate price. The switch is easily removed and replaced as a separate unit if you can find a good one ... but even that will fail at some time in the future :-(
Just one thing I would query though; the heater fan isn't supposed to work without the engine running.
--
Regards

Steve G
‚úĖ

I don't know about the heated rear screen as the switch seems to be faulty. There's no click to it. She didn't even know she had one anyway. Typical.

haydut1200 at gmail dot com and thanks.

I'll try that if she doesn't get sorted. She's going to a christmas do tonight and apparently all the men are mechanics. She'll probably be back home after 30 minutes trying to get the grease off her backside. ;)

Really? Not even with the ignition switched on? I'm a motorbike man, where heaters are few and far between, so I didn't realise. <G>
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Not necessarily wishing to throw further confusion into this, but does the car have air-con? If it does, there are numerous other possibilities besides the notorious ignition switch.
TF
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

I don't believe it does. What are the other possibilities if I am wrong?
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Tony Fisk <fiskfamily wrote:

Agreed, Tony, but in the scheme of things the switch is still the most likely culprit specially if the heated rear screen is also playing up.
--
Regards

Steve G
‚úĖ

the
besides
It's the odd bit about the blower operating when the engine is not running. Mine has a/c, and the blower only runs at full or auto, and it will only run at full when that is selected before the engine starts. My HRW works fine. If Curls' example has a duff switch, it will be difficult to tell at the moment anyway.
Curls - you'd know if it has A/C from the switches on the dash - A/C has a single push switch on the dash immediately to the left of the steering column. Lights up green with a sort of snowflake symbol.
TF
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Ah, right, definitely no A/C then.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
wrote:> >

That simplifies things!
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
curls wrote: <snip>

<snip>
Circuit diagram is on it's way to you as we speak :-)
--
Regards

Steve G
‚úĖ