Xantia intermittent wiper relay

The intermittent wiper function stopped working. Assuming the problem in relay.

Can somebody advise me where to find the relay and how to recognise it.

The car is Xantia Break m/97

Reply to
J.E.

Surprisingly the problem is more likely to be in the motor itself. Known=20 fault in Zantia/Pug 306 etc. There are three different copper `tracks`=20 inside the motor - water ingress causes these tracks to corrode. The=20 next phase is likely to be intermittent failure of the `constant` wipe=20 followed by complete failure. A new motor will cost around =A390 from=20 Eurocarparts. A replacement from a scrapped car will be hugely cheaper=20 but likely to be in the same condition as yours. Very easy to fit new=20 motor.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

It could well be as you say but I would like to test the relay before investng to a new motor.

Reply to
J.E.

Surprisingly the problem is more likely to be in the motor itself. Known fault in Zantia/Pug 306 etc. There are three different copper `tracks` inside the motor - water ingress causes these tracks to corrode. The next phase is likely to be intermittent failure of the `constant` wipe followed by complete failure. A new motor will cost around £90 from Eurocarparts. A replacement from a scrapped car will be hugely cheaper but likely to be in the same condition as yours. Very easy to fit new motor.

Jim

aha - so thats what it is .... my wipers go "intermittent" when on constant ... can the copper tracks be successfully cleaned/re-furbished?

Steve

Reply to
drd

I would very much doubt it - very flimsy pieces of copper - even=20 flimsier once water has got to them.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason