xantia key query

Hi All,

The wife and kids spent a thrilling 2hrs at our local main dealer (total c*nts but that's another story ...) this morning getting a new key coded (£22 key + £45 for coding!) - I decided not to go for a remote thing (+ another £50!) as we just need it as a spare ...

I now find that while it does indeed lock/unlock the doors and start the engine it does not de-mobilise the alarm if the car has been locked with the other (remote) key.

What's going on ??? Have the main dealers been even more c*ntish than I'd originally guessed or is there something deeper going on with the keys of which I am not aware ???

Yours hopefully

Steve

PS - anyone had any joy with complaining to Citroen about their dealers being complete c*nts ?

Reply to
drd

Snip stuff about which I know nothing

I did once have cause to complain to Citroen UK because a BX I bought blew its head gasket because the radiator was clogged. The local dealer (Warners of Gloucester) charged me £160 even though the car was under warranty to cover "extras" like getting the head checked for cracks. I got legal advice from the RAC and in the mean time contacted Cit UK to complain. As a result I got my money back and free servicing for a year and a free MOT. I have to say they deserved it cos they really screwed me around, (this tale is considerably abridged).

Mind you Fiat dealers seem to be as bad. A colleague of mine contacted Fiat UK on my advice after his local dealer started being stupid about warranty items and got a good result.

Reply to
Malc

Hi, As far as I know you need the remote to enable & disable the alarm/immobiliser it also activates the deadlocks. If you only use a key then all you can do is lock and unlock the doors.

Reply to
neil

forgot to say ... '99 Xantia Estate 2.0 Hdi if that makes any difference ...

Reply to
drd

Ah it might do, mine is a '94 1.9TD.

Neil

Reply to
neil

yes they altered things didnmt they. mines a 96n. after the next facelift they got rid of the keypad imob and put the chipin the keys. at least i can just get a key cut for mine without having to have it coded. as for the alarm problem i dont think you can get around that one. although if its just a spare it cant hurt too much to have the alarm go off for a second or so til you get the ignition on and/or button pressed.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

aha ...

ignition on kills the alarm does it? And what is this "button" of which you speak?

Steve

Reply to
drd

Got it all sorted today ...

The alarm/immobiliser is ONLY controllable with the remote key fob (which is nothing to do with the key rather bizarrely ..)

I have today bought a stand alone remote fob (with no key - £62!) which I will use for the alarm - and I have a manual key (with coding etc - £67!) which is used to unlock the doors etc ...

It's "intereting "that I had to present full ID to buy the key but nothing to buy the remote fob - all the 'security' is in the key I suppose?

So, for the miserly (not) sum of £129 I now have a spare "key" for when I cycle to work with the car key in my pocket and leave my wife at home with the car .... and two kids ... and no key (doh!)

Steve

Reply to
drd

we've all done it :) well no i got a lift to work actually.

Reply to
Rob Beech