Xantia Spheres

Hi All. So the suspension on my Xantia 1.9 Diesel Turbo has gone hard. So the general advice is to replace the spheres. I buy the new parts, change the spheres on the front and then turn to those at the back. The one in the middle is easy to replace but when I try to remove the ones at the rear wheels I have a problem! The sphere screws on to a shaft that goes into a suspension mount with a greased piston in a rubber cover at the other end. The shaft/sphere assembly is supplied with hydraulic oil via the usual sort of pipe. When I use a tool to unscrew the sphere, the whole assembly starts to rotate, limited only by a weak bracket and the pipe.

Help! Do I try to remove the whole assembly so that I can put it in a vice to unscrew the sphere or what? Needless to say the hydraulic pipe nut is seized so I will probably end up drilling it out.

JohnD

Reply to
JohnD

Ah there's a cunning method for the rear sphere replacement. Not that I've done one myself but apparently what you do is to slacken the spheres a fraction whilst the system is pressurised. So put the suspension on high then put your strap wrench or whatever on and undo about 1/4 turn. Then depressurise. The pressure locks the suspension inplace so it doesn't rotate. Don't forget to put axle stands underneath with the suspension on high just in case the whole thing comes down on your head.

Reply to
Malc

Thank you Malc, that did it! I will now take it out for a run and look for leaks.

JohnD

Reply to
JohnD

No problem. Nice to know I've learnt something useful browsing usenet.

Reply to
Malc

JohnD ( snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What age and spec of Xant?

Cars after the first facelift (chevrons in the centre of the grille) have an anti-sink sphere at the rear - which does affect the ride.

VSX and Exclusive cars have an extra sphere each end for the Hydractive, too.

You've done it the right way now - use the hydraulic pressure to hold it all in place while you "crack" the threads.

Reply to
Adrian