Xantia TD injector warning light / losing power

After running normally, this morning my 97 Xantia had a hard time starting, when it did eventually start, the revs quickly dropped and the engine died.

After a few tries I could rev the engine and the revs would remain high and constant for a few seconds, the injector warning light would come on, and the revs quickly drop. Sometimes it will recover - the revs raise again and the light goes off. Other times they will drop to idling speed, the light remains on and putting a foot on the gas has no effect whatsoever. After letting it idle for a while I can then rev it, and the pattern continues,

The fuel filter is recent and clean - what should I do next?

Reply to
xstudiosound

Sounds like the fuel system might be sucking air (or air is still present) at some point, certainly the symptoms are those that can occur after a fuel filter change if air is still floating around the system.

Reply to
Jerry