Xantia TD injector warning light / losing power

After running normally, this morning my 97 Xantia had a hard time starting, when it did eventually start, the revs quickly dropped and the engine died.
After a few tries I could rev the engine and the revs would remain high and constant for a few seconds, the injector warning light would come on, and the revs quickly drop. Sometimes it will recover - the revs raise again and the light goes off. Other times they will drop to idling speed, the light remains on and putting a foot on the gas has no effect whatsoever. After letting it idle for a while I can then rev it, and the pattern continues,
The fuel filter is recent and clean - what should I do next?
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

and the

high
come
idling
effect
and the

Sounds like the fuel system might be sucking air (or air is still present) at some point, certainly the symptoms are those that can occur after a fuel filter change if air is still floating around the system.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ