Xantia TD starting

i had my 96 xantia td serviced about 3 months ago. since then i've done around 4000 miles. When its cold (ie first thing in the morning or late at night...after it been stood a number f hours) i need to switch the ignition on and wait for the preheaters TWICE (ie wait for the light to go out then switch off and on again) If i dont do this it starts but splutters and smokes for a while.

It seems strange for this to happen between services.. i know starting and running gets slightly worse when its overdue fora service but.. not now.

Any ideas as to what to change or repair?

Reply to
Rob Beech

First thing to do is to take out one of the heater plugs and check this it is being heated until white-hot, and for the correct amount of time. Haynes will tell you how long.

BTW, mine always splutters and smokes on a first start in the morning! Maybe I should try the two-preheat sequence and see if it makes a difference...will let you know.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Almost certainly one (or more) of the heater plugs has failed. This can happen at any time, and thus is not connected to the service interval. If you want to check them, then you have to remove the wire which connects them all together and with a resistance meter check that they all show a reading of around one ohm. The one which has failed will show open circuit. If you don't have access to a meter, then a test 12v bulb connected to battery positive and the end of each plug in turn will light up if the plug is ok.

Get decent plugs if you need to replace any as the turbo keeps the plugs heated for quite some time after startup to reduce smoking. People like Neat

list two types, the one for the turbo model being more expensive.

If you find that all the plugs appear ok, then you may have a problem with the preheat control box/relay. To check this, either use the mater, or the check bulb connected from the common wire on the plugs to battery negative/engine block. You should read close to 12v when in preheat mode.

Brian.

Reply to
brian

Yes, two pre-heats stops mine from smoking & spluttering first thing also. Going to try a new set of plugs when I get round to it.

Let me know if you manage to stop yours from smoking on startup.

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Its usually not necessary to give it 2 preheats as such, because the glowplugs actually stay on for several seconds after the warning light has gone out.

With mine I wait for the light to go out, then just wait as long as again and it starts much more smoothly - no need to turn the key off and on to make the warning light come again, the plugs themselves will still be on anyway.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read

Three months ago I had to say good-bye to my dear old BX 19 TGD. Never had any starting problems with it. I now have a P-reg Xantia TD Temptation. I was quite surprised to find it start not as effortlessly as my BX. I totally ignore the warning light but wait for the clicking noise of the preheater relay on the nearside. Works every time with my Xantia. Might have to change the plugs eventually though.

BTW, are there any Xantia experts in this group. I've got some questions/problems.

Reply to
Arthur Rose

"Arthur Rose" schreef in bericht news:z%6md.251$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...

Expert? I don't know. But I'm driving Xantia TD's en HDI's for 8 years. May be I've an answer for your problems.

DJ

Reply to
D.J.