Xsara Automatic transmission oil change;

Pls help: Should I change oil in my AL4 automatic gear box? The garage explained to me that according to Citroen's instructions, this box should stay closed unless something went wrong or the indicator tells us that the oil is tired? But I think, way waiting for something to go wrong? If oil change (& filter) can prevent rapid wear ? way not do it initiated? The car has now 57000 km on the clock (about 35500 miles) and gives no problem with the box. A friend explained to me way not change the oil: "If you will change oil & filter now, the box which is used to run with the dirty used oil will start to give trouble, slip and maybe even burn the inside entireties because it has build up tolerances and spaces on the pads which were compensated with the old oil that was thicker then the fresh one, adsorbed with the wears parts". So it?s a conflict: Or changing oil now, taking the risk that the box will go nuts, or change in a few years, and then it will not help either and the box will need a rebuild. What should I do? Any reply will be appreciated.

Reply to
Micha

"Micha" haute in die Tasten:

I know the situation from BMW. There they claim that the autobox has a longilfe mainenance free oil fill. But it seems to be that BMW thinks that the life of a car ends at 160.000 km, while Audi, which sometimes uses the same gearboxes, recommend an oil change every 90.000 km.

I would suggest changing the oil at least every 80.000 km, including the oil filter. You should leave this job to somebody who professionally works with gearboxes, because it is essential to work extremely clean and to fill in the right amount of oil. I am sure that this will increase the life of your gearbox.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Thank you for your answer. Can you please reply again IF the sentence "please replace spam-muelleimer with fk-newsgroups for e-mail contact Citroen - Made in Trance" was mentioned to me? Because I did not understood it. Sorry and thanks again.

Reply to
Micha

"Micha" haute in die Tasten:

These two lines are my signature. They are added automatically to every of my usenet postings.

The first line "please replace spam-muelleimer with fk-newsgroups for e-mail contact" describes that you have to change the e-mail address which I use for usenet, if you want to send a personal e-mail to me. The e-mail address snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de is fully operational, but I do not read any of the mails which are sent to that adress. Usually 99.9% of the mails which are sent to that address are unwanted spam. I do not publish my complete e-mail address in the usenet, because there are e-mail spiders which automatically collect mail-adresses to flood them with spam. Instead of that I publish a description which is not machine readable.

The second line describes my special relationship to Citroen. "Made in Trance" is a variation of "Made in France", which indicates my strong belief, that not all people who participated in creating my car, were completely awake, sober and conscious during that time;-)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper