ZX handbrake

Having a problem. ZX failed MOT on a few things, but the main problem I'm having is the handbrake. I put in new shoes and cables but the car is showing off side handbrake weak. Does not fail on footbrake operation, so I know the shoes are OK. Left hand handbrake is spot on, but right hand handbrake is 10%. Anyone have any ideas, because I'm out of them :-(

Reply to
Tunku

Provided everything is free, and moving how it should, then it's most likely down to adjustment.

Try winding the adjustment off on the handbrake cable, then manually adjust up the adjuster in the offending drum.

Reply to
moray

"moray" wrote in news:fis9ni$di0$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

Thanks for that, I'll give that a go, although I've adjusted the adjusters in the drums, I haven't wound out the handbrake end that much, I think. Should I do it with both back wheels off the ground, as I have been doing it one at a time? Plus, thinking about it, I may have at least one spring out of place, as far as I can tell from the HBOL pics/diagrams. Unfortunately, I got the car with the wrong cables fitted, and a horrible welded on bodge to the handbrake adjuster, so it's quite possible the springs are in the wrong place. I should really get both sides off at the same time on axle stands and compare the two.

Reply to
Tunku

Check obviously the cable or link to that side and the actual operating mechanism isn't seized. Back off any cable adjustment(s) and make sure the actual shoes or pads are in the correct adjustment by either setting the adjuster if provided or pushing the brake pedal hard several times if they're self adjusting. Then set the cable(s) adjustment equally and correctly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That sounds like a MUST to me. And remember not to touch the 'good' side until you are sure you know what's up. You wouldn't want to end up with nicely balanced 10% handbrakes...

Reply to
PCPaul

PCPaul wrote in news:kQi4j.56225$c_1.32245 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Heh, good point.

Reply to
Tunku

PCPaul wrote in news:kQi4j.56225$c_1.32245 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Finally figured it out. I was following how the original shoes were fitted, and upon looking at them on the car today, I noticed that the arm for the handbrake cable was fouling on the hub. Turns out the shoes were fitted on the wrong sides of the car. I swapped sides and now the arms clear the hub. Result, but what a time.

Reply to
Tunku