ZX Reflex diesel estate gearbox

When the car is cold the gearbox feels a bit notchy, smooths out when warm. The clutch bites quite high compared to my little pug 205D. Is this an indication that the clutch is almost at the end of its life? Is the clutch
adjustable, ie. cable not hydraulic? Sorry for the question, but I haven't had time to look under the hood and can't get the Haynes Book of Spanners for the Diesel version. I had a brief look but got confused and distracted by the dieselly stuff. Took me ages to figure out how to keep the bonnet up btw. I'm so used to Volvo 240/740s where you just fling it up (it's spring loaded) I almost decapitated myself !!! LOL.