ZX's engine working temperature

Hello Folks, I just acquired a ZX, 1992, 1600 cc. Wonderful car, great feel, love the handling (rear wheel steering works!). I'm from Israel, where the summers are hot and long, so I am very conscience of engine temperature and heating. I actually have the original owners manual, which states that the normal working temp. is 90-100 degree ( c). I'm used to lower temps, and I get kind of edgy when the needle is on the 100 mark. The radiator and fans are in good condition. From what I had gathered, the car's fan unit turns the fan on at 98 degrees, and, it doesn't sit on the radiator, but on the engine. It isn't a simple unit like in the AX/C15, but a more complex system. I wanted to install a unit that would turn on the fans at a slightly lower temp., but was told such a unit cannot be had (only a really low temp. one, which would make the fans work constantly). I have 2 questions:

  1. are there such units to be had? Say of a 92-95 temp.?
  2. could my concern be misplaced, because since the unit is on the engine and not the radiator, it is relatively exposed to higher temp. levels? that is, are the 100 degrees I see on the ZX equivalent to a lower temp. on say the AX/c15 etc.? Thanks in advance, Ido
Reply to
Ido

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Ido) wrote in news:f7e0bc7e.0504251301.8c4a595 @posting.google.com:

The fan sits on the radiator like it should be, so that's no problem. Standard temperature is 90 degrees and the fan does switch on at 98, so that is also normal. With pressurised heating systems it is no problem that the temperature goes up. I've had it on 120 once (plugged the fuse for the fan in the wrong place...) and the car didn't complain at all.

Really the only thing to worry about is the coolant boiling, but that won't happen before 120 degrees.

I say: no problem, it is not worth the bother.

Maarten

Reply to
Maarten Deen

Maarten Deen wrote: snip ..............................

Thanks Maarten. Ido

Reply to
einavk