12 volt conversion - gauge question

converted my '51 pickup to 12 volt last year, the gauges have been unhooked since. I don't want to simply put a resistor in to run the 6 volt gauges, I
want to replace the electronics in the gauges with new stuff.
Is it possible to buy just the oil, temp, fuel, voltmeter electronic compoents somewhere? I don't want all new gauges, instead I want to by the internal components and put them in my original gauges to retain the look.
I've looked at dolphin gauges, tpu tech instruments, autometer, and classic instruments, but it seems you can only buy the entire gauge. I doubt they all make there own electronic components - they must get them from somewhere, anyone know?

vintage. If there were, they'd be vacuum tubes, since the transistor was only invented in 1948 and didn't make it into commercial applications for a few years. The oil pressure and temperature gauges may be mechanical, having a diaphragm or bourdon tube for pressure and a bimetallic strip for temperature; if they're electric (you'll see that they don't work when the key is off), they'll still be electromechanical, not electronic, using a meter movement and a sending unit that is a variable resistance. The ammeter will be just an electric meter movement and a shunt (very low-value resistance), probably in the same case. I don't recall seeing a voltmeter in a vehicle until I installed one under the dash in my '69 Plymouth, though they had been in catalogs a few years before that.
The problems with replacing the guts of these devices will be that of finding the right physical size and electrical behaviors for them--and you'll still have the same functionality. The resistance to step down to 6 volts really isn't all that bad an idea, it seems to me.
Good luck. I'll bet you're enjoying the truck.
check this website http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fa/t30.html

Interesting, though I hope nobody buys an ammeter that's pegged to the left when it's off.
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:17:46 GMT, "allan willetts"

I think I'd do away with an ammeter anyhow, sort of dangerous if you think about it.

My bad, it's not electronics, it's mechanics, and it's an ammeter not a voltmeter (although I would want the ammeter replaced with a voltmeter for obvious reasons). electrical, mechanical, electromechanical, it doesn't matter, that's not really the point. They point was I want to replace these components with new ones, to bring the gauges up to date yet retain the original look.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/fatfenders/thetoad.htm
see pictures above.... here is the text:
Custom Gauges
These gauges are from a 1983 Toyota Landcruiser and "grafted" to the original AD gauge buckets.
------
all of the images for that truck are on that one page so it might take awhiel to load if you are on a dial up. Anyway, it's an option.
-W
-Woogeroo
Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:
http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp /
smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...
Interesting, I'm going to look into that. Thanks.
<- remove NOBS to send email.

There is a place called Redline not sure the whole name but they do that type of work and I have seen them at care shows in Santa Clarita California. I believe they are located in the Santa Clarity Valley may want to do a search. Ed ke6bnl well i did the search for you http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/about.asp give them a call