1938 Chevrolet Master Fire Truck

Hello All,

Our volunteer fire department here in east central Indiana has a fire truck we retired many years ago. It is based on the chassis and drive train of a 1938 Chevrolet Master. We were getting it out of the firehouse for the first of it's two annual parades when a problem developed in the two speed rear end. To cut to the chase we need to pull the drive shaft and the guys trying to do the work have told me that the drive shaft is "enclosed" and they can not figure out how to remove it. Is there anybody out there who may know what they are referring to and be able to help us in any way? I sure do appreciate you taking the time to read this and for any help you can throw our way. Thank you!

Terry M.

Reply to
Terry Matney

382584477666

On the back end of the trans you will see what looks like a semi spherical piece held on the trans with 4 bolts. Remove the 4 bolts and slide that collar back. Now the rear axle and torque tube assembly with its encolsed driveshaft can be slid back and removed from the truck. The driveshaft is a male spline that slips into a yoke that will remain on the tranny. What looks like a unviersal joint on the front of the yoke is known as a trunion joint and does not have to be removed unless you are servicing it or the trans.

Hope this was some help. As far as the 2 speed goes you would do well to get a repop of the 38 Chevy commercial shop manual before you dig into it.

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly