1952 GMC Picjup hard to turn:

I have a 1952 GMC 1/2T longstep that is hard to turn. I have tried to grease the kingpins but can only get grease into the top fitting on the driver side, the rest are frozen up. The steering box is free and
easy, any ideas here?
Thanks
There are special tools to free up clogged grease zerks. But have you tried replacing them? They're only about $1 or less apiece. It made a world of difference on my 53 when I greased the kingpins.
regards, Leon
Bushleague wrote:

I drive a UPS truck and they all have kingpin front ends. I'm forever telling the mechanics that my steering is tight and hard to turn. They always grease it and it's a little better for awhile. But when it gets real bad they tell me the kingpins need replaced. Once I had one that was really hard to turn and found that the top thrust washer was broke in half and sticking out.
Leon Corley wrote:

-
Not certain this will help, but first a few things, 1. Jack up the front end of the truck, just enough to get the wheels up off the ground. 2. Try the steering then, if it is still difficult or binding try disconnecting the drag link. 3 Turn the steering wheel, if it still difficult the problem is coming from the box. There is an adjustment screw with a nut on top of the box, it does not require a lot of adjustment, just a little. You may want to take some white paint or some other kind of marker to mark the location before you loosen it up. 4. Turn the wheels left and right whild the drag link is disconnected, if it is difficult to move back and forth, could be a combination of the steering box (if it was stiff) and the front king pins. 5. Inspection of the zerks is vital as other postings have eluded to. 6. If all the above seem free, it could be that your alignment is out of whack. Alignment is different with this truck where it requires someone with the equipment to physically bend the cross-member.
I have a 48 and 51 1.5T along with a 52 3/4T and my son's 53 1/2T. They are all the same, just a little different from underneath
Let me know what you find out.
Mike Parsons, Yellow Springs, Ohio