1963 chevy rear end removal help needed

the rear end on my 63 chevy pickup does not turn and I am trying to remove it. the truck is the kind with trailing arms that are attached in the middle of
the frame and slope downwards towards to the back of the truck there are coil springs on top of the arms and the shock absorbers are hooked to them too
the rear end is bolted with U- bolts to the arms, it is mounted on top of the arms I have loosened the nuts on the u-bolts but the u bolts are stuck on!
I have disconnected the shock absorbers and jumped on the rear bumper and made it bounce pretty good, but it will not come apart!
so the weight of the truck is pushing down on the arms. the axle, which is on top of the arms is pushing up but it still doesnt come apart!
does anyone have any ideas? should I use a gear puller? the arms look like I-beams, there is a big lip.
thanks, Peter

Recently R & R'ed my '64's rear end. Assuming yours is the same, or close.... Unless your u-bolts are welded, they'll come off. Get the truck off the ground, on blocks. Soak the threads, nut, general area with WD-40 and use an extension-pipe,* if you need the leverage. Protecting the threads, use a hammer and/or crow bar to remove the bolts.
My u-bolts had never been touched, so they required some persuasion. I used a deep socket with a breaker bar, and a 3' length of 2" iron pipe. Oh, those suckers were coming off, one way or another.
* Such serious leverage that I twisted the hinged male end of the breaker bar... Fortunately, it was a Craftsman, so they replaced it, no questions asked.
Good luck,
Unc

ok I took the nuts completely off with some penetrant and a long 1/2" breaker bar. then decided it was better to put them back on the end of the bolts for when the axle comes off! the nuts are on the ends of the bolts with approx 3/4" for the truck to fall.
where should I use the hammer? I have a long heavy flat ended metal bar (like a giant slotted screwdriver with no handle)
I tried between the axle and the arms, but the arm there doesnt have a flat top to pry against. should I try under the top of the u bolts between them and the axle?
there is no good way to hammer upwards on the end of the bolts (with the nuts on to protect the threads.
I also poured some oil around the u-bolts, there is sort of a cup there on top of the arms, it leaked through onto the ground. maybe I will use my jar of wd-40, it has sat unused for too long.
thank you for the help, Peter

i had a similar prob with a 66...rear ring gear was smooth as a babys ass so a swap was in need....u bolts were stuck real good...( years of shti and abuse....not to mention a bit o rust and assorted other crap) cleaned them up as best i could....give them a little heat with a torch.....a couple whacks ta make me feel better....after that a bit of penetrating oil and all was well!

where do you apply heat? on the ends of the bolts or maybe on the sides of the arms where the bolt goes through, I can see where they are.
will a propane torch cause problems weakening anything? or isnt it hot enough?
I am glad to know I'm not the only person who has had this problem. thanks and have a good day, Peter.
Hi,     Applying heat with a propane or butane torch will not cause any weakness anywhere. Losing strength and temper is caused by discoloration and improper cooling. The butane or propane torch will not get it hot enough to damage it. You should be able to oxy/acet. it off with a cutting torch with out harming anything else. Dissipation of heat is good on your axle housing. It will only get damaged if you discolor it and torch cut it. Just stay on the "U" bolts and away from brake lines and gas tank. For the price "U" bolts are cheap. New "U" bolts are going to be incredibly easy to put on. You should replace them. Good luck.     Jessie
captain bob wrote:

uummm....with the heat thing i mentioned...common knowledge of course...be really careful not to heat it up all that much....axle warpage and all ....
Hi,     I know exactly what you are talking about. The best way to remove them is by cutting them off with a torch. You can get the "U" bolts and nuts at any spring shop. Try looking in the phone book for off road spring products. They should be able to help you. It sounds like your pinion came loose and went into the ring gear. You can also use a Propane or Butane torch to heat up the "U" bolts and nuts to dissasemble. The "U" bolts are hardened and just about impossible to cut off without a torch. Careful around your gas tank with an open flame. Good luck. Jessie