In a word.... YES. There may be a minor difference in the timing from 65 to

  1. Maybe 2 or 4 degrees at the most and mostly it was for rudimentary attempts at emission control..

I'd set it based on what info you have available and you'll probably be just fine. If it seems just a touch sluggish then add a couple of degrees more timing and see if it helps. Most it would want is about 8 degrees when you check initial timing at idle.

Off the top of my head: Plugs, AC45 - gap .032, point dwell angle 28 - 32 degrees ( set them at 28 for best idle and results ), timing 4 to 6 BTDC with vac advance disconnected. Hot idle speed 600 in N for std trans, 650 in D for Pglide. Firing order is clockwise 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, 1-3-5-7 on drivers side, 2-4-6-8 on pass side, all are front to back. Valve adjustment is 1 additional turn down after zero lash ( when it just stops clicking ).

The 283 except for some late 50's and very early 60's hi perf versions are all pretty much the same internally and for tune up work.

Hope this is some help.

Please help!

Croc

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly

I have been looking for a repair manual for a 1965 Chevy Pickup with a 283 engine. Can't find one so I bought one for as early as 1967. Is the firing order and dist. cap rotation pattern the same on both years. Also the dwell setting?

Please help!

Croc

Reply to
Croc-O-Dial

yes they should both be right on the same track.

Reply to
TONY 70000

firing order etc is the same from 1955 to present on the SBC

Reply to
Im Right