65 Chevy truck Carb.

I have a 1965 Chevrolet C-10 half ton pick-up and I have a small block 350 in my truck, its a implant engine, not the original engine, we dont know what the year of the engine it is because we cant find the VIN number...we think its a '71. But when I stop and turn off my engine..I sometimes have to get under the hood and prop the choke open with a CD case. I know that its the choke thats going bad on it because when i prop it open, it takes a few trys to have the engine turn over but it eventually does. I bought a new Edelbrock intake Manafold and Carburator. But my dad is hisitant to change them. Is there something that we can do that will avoid canging the manafold and carburator, or is that something that has to be done? Thanks for reading this, I really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me...thanks.

Reply to
swimming_b_dawg

Perhaps correcting the problem with the existing carb would be desirable, as it will be easier and far less expensive. Since you have not stated what carb you have, or what style of choke it uses, I will assume you have a non-ECM Rochester Quadra or DualJet.

First it must be said that on a hot start, the choke should of course be open, and a cold start should have a closed choke. A closed choke on a hot start may cause flooding, and an open (or propped open) choke on a cold start will cause the excessive cranking from lean starting.

If you have a manual choke, please verify that the cable is present, operates smoothly, and the linkage is assembled correctly; then it is only a matter of operating it correctly.

An automatic choke (hot air style or electric) must be adjusted as weather (ambient temperatures) change throughout the year. I prefer to adjust by warming the engine with a short drive and then rotating the housing to open the choke and provide a slight preload. Then just tweak as necessary.

If you have damaged or missing choke components, used parts carbs can be picked up at a salvage yard for very reasonable prices (I pay $15 at my favorite Pick-a-Part).

If you still wish to replace the carb,there are relatively inexpensive adapters to mate the squarebore AFB to the spreadbore (presumably) manifold on the engine. I am not personally fond of the AFB, however, and would recommend returning the new parts and instead fixing the existing carb. If you happen to have a 2bbl, adapters exist as well, but sticking a 4bbl on a 2bbl manifold is kind of pointless.

And on a final note, if the motor has trouble turning over, it ain't the choke; if you meant that it has trouble starting (but cranks fine) then you are on the right track.

On a second final note, the engine casting number (try mortec.com) can be found on the driver's side of the bellhousing. This will help identify the engine and provide a range of possible years of manufacture. The block casting date can be found on the passenger's side of the bellhousing. A pad in front of the passenger side head will hold the VIN/suffix stampings (*unless* the block has been decked, in which case the stampings are usually destroyed) which can help identify the specific RPO and installation. Try nastyz28.com to decode these.

Best of luck Mark

Reply to
Marky

when you say it takes a few tries to get it to turn over. do you mean it turns over but does not start or does not turn over at all like the battery is dead.

Reply to
sparky