'68 GMC 4500 Front Axle Troubles

The king pin ripped out of the end of the axle of my 1968 GMC 4500 box truck. Luckily I was going only 1 mph so no catastrophe. The Axle had been resleeved just 2 months before which may have weakened the
surrounding metal.... 40 years old and almost 400,000 miles, I can't understand why it should be worn out .... The problem is where to find another Axle
This is a 16'box truck with dual rear wheels, 16,000 lb G.V.W. and a V6-351 engine,
It is an EM 4500 with a 4000 lb front axle. I believe it was called a FO40 solid beam front axle.
The casting number on the axle is GM 3913707
The distance between spring centers is 32"
The spring width is 2.5"
The distance between the king pin centers across the bottom is 65"
The nut from the drag link to the steering arm on the spindle faces up.
Any suggestions of where to find an axle which would work in this truck... or where to find a whole new front end which would fit would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jon Lathrop
--
Jonathan Lathrop Have Truck Will Haul Moving Service
Riverdale, Maryland Careful Courteous Reasonable Reliable

http://www.subwaytruckparts.com/gmc_inquiry.html
http://www.gmctruckparts.net/?gclid=COa6tqDTx5UCFQJHxwodfxNlig

Howdy Heek, nice to see a familar face. How's the weather? -- Old Crow '82 FLTC(P)'Pearl' '87 FLTC 'Bebe La Strange' '61 F-100 BS#132, TOMKAT, SENS, SLOB#13

Gustav missed me by about 30 miles. Trying to move stuff outta my shop into the barn , so I have enough room to install the new engine in the Heritage. It is in the 80s and sunny here, and not being able to ride now is making me real cranky.
I need to get back in the vb&g. The vegetation here should go dormant shortly. I thought that I was doing something wrong, but other people have told me, "No, if you live in Texas, you have to clear brush, all the time." I got an old JD Model 40 with a 5 foot shredder, which should free up more time. 'Course, I just had to replace the Bendix in the starter, and the front fuel tank mounting bracket, and the sediment bowl, fuel line, the carb draincock, the load needle,... Other than that its a good tractor. :)
And I got this damned virus in my eyes that causes corneal blindness. Gotta take trifluridine drops three times a day, and the stuff has to be kept refrigerated. Been on them for a week, and my vison is improving.
All in all, this stuff keeps me on a really short leash.
heekster wrote:

Tried them both...... No Cigar!
Any other suggestions ?
I found it at Green's Auto Salvage in Freemont, NC ... They have lots of old stuff,
heekster wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:29:46 -0400, Jonathan Lathrop

<snip> Good for you.
Keep that old truck running.