700r4 question

can anyone tell me if you can use a 700r4 from a 4x4 89 chevy on my 2 wd international hot rod project truck i know i have to change the tailshaft but are there any major differences between the 2wd 700r4
verses the 4x4 700r4
Nope they are both junk.

Go with the 4L60 which was the "next generation" 700R4. Most of the problems in the 700R4 were corrected in the 4L60 and there are harness kits, etc from the aftermarket that allow it to be used in a non computer environment like a simple hot rod.
The 700R4 had such a poor reliability reputation that GM must have decided to call the upgraded unit by the new 4L60 or figured they wouldn't sell many vehicles. In all fairness to the 700R4 the worst ones were the early units but the later ones weren't exactly bullet proof either. -- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"