AC Compressor rebuild

Am, rrefreshing, not restoring , a 64 Chevy PU that I travel in when I was a kid.
Grandpa added in a Climate Control Air condition system with a rather large
universal looking compressor, wh.ich I recieved in a box, not sure if it works.
I could have the compressor reworked but wanted opinions on whether I should just get a new universal type compressor and just rework the interior hang on blower. Are newer compressors more efficient or is a pump just a pump?
Also either way , where should I shop for either?
Thanks
Mark: The first issue you have to resolve is the fliud/lubricant mix. R12 is no longer available. I purchased 2 of the $50 kits to convert to the newer (R134?) and can report that they work quite well. I bought several books on servicing AC systems, and I seem to recall that the compressor was usually the last thing that had to be replaced. Good Luck, FXS