Hi all, I'm Dave and I'm new here.
I just acquired a 1950 Chevy 6400 (two ton) State body or stake body truck(depending on who I listen to) in a trade. The truck has a flat
head six with only 51,000 original miles on the truck, a two speed rear end and from what I can see there is no rust or rot to be found on it anywhere.
I would like to recieve some advice as to what its true value might be from someone familiar with collecting antique trucks.
I have pictures of it and will send them to anyone interested via email.My email address is " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"The truck has a few minor dents like krinkles on the hood from forcing it to latch properly and one down the passenger side rear cab corner I think it is a dump body because I see the PTO assembly, but it has since been set up to haul and dump grain,so the tailgate area of the bed would need to be changed to use that feature if it even works.The truck is located in the exact center of the U.S.A., it needs brake work, but I can do that to make it driveable. Tires are great that are on it and there is no vehile inspection needed to regester it here to put plates on it.
Even if you are not interested in buying it I still would like some info on its value. ersonaly I love the truck and wish I could keep it, but I'm putting an addition on my house and might need the money more than the truck.
TY for any advice offered... Dave
2 tons are not worth that much except to their owners.
http://www.stovebolt.com <- pre 1973 chevy/gmc trucks - with a 'big bolt' section for the ton trucks like yours
http://www.chevytalk.com
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com
-Woogeroo
------------------------------------------------ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com <- remove NOBS to send email. ------------------------------------------------
Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:
http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp /
smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...
"Woogeroo" wrote:

Of that age and condition this is not true because a 2 ton of that age and condition is very rare and if I had it I would restore it and use it some. That fact it is all stock makes it worth more than one that has been modded over the years and no longer has orignal drive train either.
I would really love to see a 1950 Chevy or any GMC product with a flathead 6. Them's a rare breed. Henry Ford must have been hiding in the woodpile.
truck has a few

I dont think that 1 tons are really worth all that much anyways. I would give 500 bucks for it.
truck has a few

I dont think that 1 tons are really worth all that much anyways. I would give 500 bucks for it.
Ty for offer, but I paid much-much more than that and with the fact that because of its size it is exempt from emissions in most localities and with its age it is also exempt from other regulations "like seat belt laws along with other trendy regulations", I think the size thing is a plus. Besides that you can buy a 2001 GMC truck with equal capacity,more miles on it, more rot, higher maintenence regulations and more repair headaches than this one will offer.
Like I said "thanks for the offer", but if I EVER did part with this beauty I would need to see enough from it to compensate for me missing it for the rest of my life because between me and you I think it looks better than my woman, she aint getting better day by day and this thing might with a little work.
I got a 1969 1/2 Polish model house-wife/cook/referee you can make an offer on 'cause then I don't have to build the addition and then I get to keep the truck.
TY Dave
PS: Kids go with woman, son can't mow lawn but I will include for free a new rideing mower and instruction manual so that you can teach him how to

BG! Well, Dave, buying or owning 'old' iron is never profitable, and very few get what they have invested. (Just watch a Barret/Jackson auction, where vehicles with major investments get 50% of the investment returned.)
If you bought it with the idea that it is exempt from requlations, then you bought for the wrong reason. Exemption is one thing, but this truck only has value as a show piece, for parts (if you find someone with a similar truck that needs parts.) and the like. Otherwise it is restoration time, and restorations are not a money-making deal unless you are a big name restorer, with a reputation that adds value to the job.
GOod luck, however. There is a chance you'll run across the right buyer, one who has dreamed of this truck all his/her life!
I'd suggest eBay, a reasonable reserve (forget your investment, and love for it, put yourself in the buyer's shoes!) and see what happens.

Then you paid much-much too much.

Because of its size it is also subject to commercial licensing and insurance in many jurisdictions. This can be more expensive than emissions maintenance and inspection. It certainly is where I live.

If you believe that seat belts are merely trendy, you're nuts.

But it's not what you think that counts. It's what a willing buyer thinks that counts.

Heh. Obviously you haven't yet started pricing parts for that brake problem you mentioned earlier. While you "can" buy such a truck as you describe, the 2001 will definitely have much greater capacity for the same designation (i.e., I suspect a 2001 1-ton has a greater weight rating than a 1950 2-ton.) It may well have more miles, but in these days of fuel-injection and better lubricants that isn't an issue. Rot is usually related to location. If the '51 didn't rust where it was for all those years, an -01 won't either.
I don't know that there are specific "maintenence regulations" for medium-duty trucks in private ownership in most jurisdictions. There aren't in California, which is usually the leader in such nonsense.
Assuming the repairs are done properly with new or excellent used parts, almost any repair on the older truck will cost as much as the same repair on the newer one, except for those done under the hood.

=============================You're hearing the same advice from people who know old trucks well, some like Woogeroo who have invested major bucks and time in them over a period of many years and know beyond question what they are worth.
The truck you have described is sitting behind farmers' barns and in the back of corporation yards all over the country, and many of them are given to anyone who will haul them off by people who are grateful to be rid of them. Some of them show up repeatedly on eBay, with reserve prices that get lower each time around. Many never sell. There are usually a couple of them in the wrecking yard in my small town.
Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way
Sierra Specialty Automotive