Advice Re: '77 Chevy Pickup

Hoping y'all can help me out here... I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to these things, but I'm looking at buying a '77 Chevy Pickup. It's a 3/4 ton Silverado with a 350.
A mechanic owned it for years. It seems in good shape mechanically (but not cosmetically). It supposedly has 75000 original miles on its original motor. It has a new battery, 3 new tires and a new carburator.
My question I suppose is: What should I look for in checking it out? What should I ask? Etc.
The guy wants 1200 bucks for it.
What sort of advice can you give me on buying this truck?
Thank you, Jimmy
Few things.....look for oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid, etc. leaks. Look in the engine compartment for head gasket problems, or even valve cover leaks. If the motor looks like it has been pressure washed, or freshly cleaned....beware. Make sure the tranny shifts smoothly. Look at the exhaust when you start it for any signifigant amount of blue (oil) smoke. Check to see if the four wheel drive works (if equipped). I do this by putting it in four low, and crank the wheel as hard one direction, and give it a little gas.....it should hop around a bit, but dont go crazy. Also, with that few miles on a 77....id check for signs of wear making one think that it has maybe 177 thousand miles on her....Just some stuff to try. For the price there aint much that will beat it. And mechanics usually take pretty good care of their vehicles....so, best of luck to you!

It is a common joke that you should never buy a house from a carpenter, or a vehicle from a mechanic. Hell, a janitor wont't keep his own house clean either.
-- Regards Gordie
They are pretty good trucks and engines.
Leaks can be an issue, just because of age, not mileage.
For that price, if it isn't a smoker or a pin cushion for oil you can't go too wrong.
Things like brakes and exhaust fail from age too, but they are easy fixes.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Jimmy wrote:

Not a bad deal if mileage is correct. The only thing in these years that I would look for is RUST. Mid 70's were bad for GM using what they called recycled or just plain shitty sheet metal. They were prone to early deterioration. Camshafts were an issue in these years but I'm thinking that if I remember correctly that it was more in the 305's than the 350's. Good luck.
Alright. Thank you all for your help. I bought the truck. ... So, now more help please. . . I've noticed that there is a slight tremble when in drive but at a complete stop. I didn't notice this when I originally test drove it last week. I payed careful attention then, so I imagine this is new. Also, the truck smells like gas. It's quite strong. This wasn't there last week either. Any ideas on potential problems? Again, Thank You.

The rochestor carbs are notorious for sticking float needle/seats also...It would probably be hard to restart when it sticks if thats the case. MK