Center/Offset rear axle (FrankenWillys Wagon)?

Hi, I was just offered a killer deal on a pair of 74 CJ axles for the 'FrankenWillys' including a front with disk brakes on it. $100 for the complete pair (being driven around daily as I write, they're in great shape) is actually cheaper than what I'd intended with just adding a straight Toyo axle to the front, and the fact that they are reasonably modern Jeep axles makes it just sound more 'right'. The problem I have is that the rear in this pair has an offset differential, and my original has a center output on the transfer case. Hot rodders use offset axles with center drive trannys all the time, so why is this seemingly a huge problem for a Jeep/Willys when it doesn't seem to be one for the Rodders out there?

This project I'm doing is a street truck and will never see anything more scarey than a dirt road, so things like articulation and extreme loads are never going to be a problem. The body/chassis is also not going to be lifted at all. I know any extra angle you put on a driveshaft increases wear on the U-joints, but is it that much in this kind of a project?

Thanks for reading, drinks are in the fridge.

Cheers, - Jeff G

Bubba Kahuna