Dask Wiring on my 57 Chevy PU

Can anyone help me with a problem I having reconnecting the wiring on the instrument panel of my 1957 3100 chevy truck? A shematic would sure help. I removed the panel to clean it thinking that the wiring would be straight forward to replace.

Well I've got something wrong. Last evening I had a big cloud of smoke, one wire glowing red, and now the truck won't start. The engine seems to fire while pushing in the starter petal, but cuts off imediately upon releasing (much like it did when I tried starting it with the amp meter guage unplugged).

As for wiring, my problem is with the guages. I'm having no problem with the hibeam indicator light, the turnsignal indicator lights and the dash lights (except they don't work, I don't see where they get their power source from). There are three heavy guage wires which I think connect to the ampmeter, 2 red and 1 black. I assumed the two reds go on the right hand side and the black on the right. Is this correct?

The tempature guage has two pin type connectors. I placed a red wire on the right and brown on the left, guage did not work.

I think the gas guage is the source of my problem. There is a pink pin type connector wire coming off the ingnition switch which appears to only fit the first terminal on the gas guage. There is a brown pin type wire which I placed on the left gas guage pin. Guage jumps all the way to full and does not move.

Finally I think I'll need to replace the wire I smoked last night. Does this truck have any fuses? There is a white ceramic block on the firewall. Could that be some sort of fused link which I may have blown?

Thanks for any help you may give me.

Gary

Reply to
57chevy3100