Door latch damage & repair

Has anyone here ever repaired a door latch?
I have a set ($200 smackers U.S. each for new aftermarket L.M.C. Trucks) and they are worn clean through where the fat part of the end
of the door striker pin makes contact. Has anyone had success welding and grinding smooth or should I wait until a better donor vehicle comes to our scrap yard? I just happen to have two parts vehicles here on the property but the door latches are munched too.
Things low down this time of the year at my favourite place. It is a place where you bring you own tools and remove what you want. You should see this. Right now there is a 15ft high wall of flattened vehicles protecting the yard from the cold NorWesters until spring when they will chip and ship the entire wall for recycling. <sigh>Unless something changes this year there won't be many new candidates for a long while.</sigh>
Thanks to all who respond. -- Best Regards Gordie
hey barn owl. there's a small town around my area called Nolalu. would that be where ur from perhaps? in northern ontario?
bmoney
"The Nolalu Barn Owl" <&#103&#111&#114&#100&#105&#101&#64&#110&#111&#108&#97&#108&#117&#46&#111&#110&#46&#99&#97> wrote in message

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 03:37:39 GMT, "Hamilton Car Audio + Security"

Yes, that's the place. You know of the Buck's Car Parts Yard then (formerly Mission Island Auto) across the now defunct Jackknife Bridge. -- Best Regards Gordie
oh, bucks is definitely there! you live in nolalu, or just from there? I work walking distance from the old jacknife....
bmoney
"The Nolalu Barn Owl" <&#103&#111&#114&#100&#105&#101&#64&#110&#111&#108&#97&#108&#117&#46&#111&#110&#46&#99&#97> wrote in message wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 00:43:24 GMT, "Hamilton Car Audio + Security"

We moved out here from near Westfort about 9 years ago now. "Farm living is the life for me".
I usually buy our tires at Twinport just across from the bingo hall that used to be a Supermarket. at the foot of the bridge. -- Best Regards Gordie
Hi,     I would get a better donor vehicle. I'm a certified welder and machinast. You parts are all steel and you should be able to weld and machine (or grind) to work. Sometimes, replacement is alot easier than repairing. I have welded a lot of door pin mountings on bodies. Never seen a door latch worn through. A common welding rod or wire is ussually about 70-110 thousand lbs. per square inch of strength. The welds are very strong and durable. I'm sure that they are a lot stronger than your latch material. They can be welded as long as they are easy to reach. I hope this helps. Good luck to you. Jessie