Ghost driver

I have a 1979 surburban 4x4 1500 sometimes while driving (Most of the time lately) my truck suddenly jerks to the left then the right again and again. A mechanic who did some front end work on my truck
recently(Pitman arm, and tie rod ends) said that sometimes older 4x4s like mine will go in and out of four wheel drive because the Locking hub ends are worn. Possible...likely?... snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
I doubt it. If your hubs are that badly worn/beat, it's more likely they wouldn't engage at all - even when you want them to. There's something dangerously wrong with your truck. Bring it to someone who knows what they're doing because I have serious doubts about your mechanic if he gave you a line like that.
Good luck, - Jeff G http://jeffgross.com/willys
DIONYSUS wrote:

Your probably right my only other thought was my right rear brake seems to drag a bit maybe causing the symptoms i described?..On Tue,

It's possible that your brake shoe retaining springs are broken in the rear drums. If they are, the leading edge of the brake shoe can 'drop' onto the drum while driving and practically lock it up. Sometimes they release all by themselves and other times you'll have to back up to unlock the wheel. Rear brakes can whip you around pretty good too. Have a good look at them. If you have a 1500, you should be able to pop the drums off easily, 2500 & up are a lot tougher because you have to actually pull the axles to service the rear brakes (VERY beefy axles in those 3/4 & 1+ ton GMC/Chevs). I had a 77 GMC Suburban 2500 heavy 3/4 ton (very heavy), so I know how tough they are. It went over 330k and still ran pretty good when I sold it. It's well worth fixing, those are great old trucks and you can get new sheet metal for them all over the place if it's suffering from rust.
- JG
DIONYSUS wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean i love the older cars and trucks because !/ i grew up during that era 2/ Everything is pretty fixable versus todays "Modules"..Don On Thu, 11 Sep 2003