Heavy half ton?

I was doing some brake work on my 66 Chevy C10 and found the replacement rear brake hose did not fit the connector on the brake line. The guy at the parts store tells me my truck is a heavy half ton (because it has 6 lug wheels) and that it is essentially a C10 body on a C20 frame and suspension. Can anyone shed any info on this? Should I use C20 parts on the frame/suspension?

TIA, Bullgator

Reply to
Hard Ball

RE: Heavy half ton? BY: Hard Ball

- You need to find a parts store with more knowledgeable people. 6 lug was the

1/2 ton wheels for a long time, standard on a '66. You have a C10 with a C10 suspension most likely. My guess is they sold you the wrong part. - -

Origin: The Wild Wild West * 503-623-0185

Reply to
Doc

Sounds to me like they were pulling a CYA story for selling wrong part, however, I saw some "strange" things come from the factory during the 10+ years I sold auto parts... don't know if you read my story about the V-8 Barracuda that had all 6-cyl brakes on it... the books have been known to be wrong as well... countermen rely on what's in the book 99% of the time.

Just my $.02... -Buck F.

Reply to
Buck F.

I double checked the part number of the first brake hose with their website when it didn't fit and verified that it was the right part number for a C10. I went and picked up the brake hose for the C20 today and it fits. I agree with you guys about the 6 lug thing - I thought that was standard for the C10. But the guy was right about the C20 brake hose. I'll see if I can find specs on the C20 frame and do some measuring to determine what frame I have.

Reply to
Hard Ball

That parts man is just blowing smoke!!

Reply to
LARRY929

IRK, All chevy 1/2 ton trucks prior to 1971 used the 6 x 5.5" bolt pattern. My 69, 53, and 46 all do, at least.

regards, Leon

56 wrote:

Reply to
Leon Corley

I have a '64 Heavy. It originally had 16" split-rims. The only other real difference I know of is that the coil springs are larger than the non-heavy.

Unc

Reply to
uncle kenny

My 88K5 blazer has 6 bolt wheels on it.