import engine for a 50's ford

I at the point were I could either do up the flathead in my 51 merc pickup or swap a new model engine. If I go with a new engine I think I'll go with an import like a toyota. I know I know, blasphemy. But I think they are generally more effecient and last longer. Anyone know of a suitable import that would do well in a truck of this weight?

Reply to
Jeremy

What is your plan for this truck? I'm going to guess you're thinking of making it a daily driver, as putting a foreign engine in it will destroy its collector value.

Are you in the USA or Canada? Our suggestions will need to take this into account. If you're in the middle of the Sahara, you won't have a parts store on every corner.

Good luck!

Reply to
myford100

Reply to
Jeremy

It would have hot rod value if you used any Ford V8 or a small block Chevy.

If you use a Jap engine you will have a lot more work and people will make fun of you. There isn't a RWD Jap engine and trans I know of that you can get reasonably that will fit except for some four cylinders. RWD Lexises have great V8s but they are all electronic and you will be loking at a lot of wiring. The economical sources for Jap engines are what is called JDM, Japanese Domestic Market, imports. You will want a complete engine and trans with all accessories. That will be expensive because usually they take that all off to fit more in the shipping can. You could also buy a "halfcut", which is a whole car sawed in half.

Most Japanese engines in this class are inline sixes. The Supra/ Cressida and Maxima are pretty good ones.

All the little items like filters and stuff will cost more. You will have to either adapt a Delcotron or use the Japanese alternator, which are much more expensive rebuilt. A Ford or C***y will be cheaper in the long run. But if you have this obsession don't let that stop you. Hell, why not a Mercedes diesel?

Reply to
RapidRonnie

Friend of mine in UK runs a MB diesel 'Sprinter'. It does 110MPH... and still feels stable..

Reply to
Molesworth

As far as imports go, if I did that I was thinkinf of an engine out of something like a tacoma, or 4runner. They're about as close a match as far as vehicle size that I could think of when it comes to imports. But as you say, it'll be a lot of work.

If I went domestic I'd probly just put in a ford 302. I don't care about obscene power. Does anyone know if the engine mount configuration changed throughout the years? Someone told me that the old flatheads have the same engine mount geometry as newer fords. Does that sound right?

Reply to
Jeremy

If you use a already-mated engine and trans half the job is done. If you use a carbed engine with conventional ignition the wiring is easy too. All you need to do is fab mounts, get a driveshaft made, and make the radiator hoses fit.

Toy engines and manual trans of the carb era are mostly bulletproof.

EFI is more work and money but....they start and run so much better.

On diesels, the Mercedes OM616/617 are the cheapest and best engines out there. Isuzu, Mits and Nissan good too. On the Benz, you will find the MBZ trans not easy because of the rubber-donut output. The MBZ engines have a huge front sump as well. The oil pump hangs down into the pan, past the rails, and is chain driven.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Reply to
See Ya

I'm interested in knowing how your project goes! There are some forums where you should pot pics and info about your project. I'm sure people would love to see it progress.

Reply to
Jeremy