midwest & rust considerations

I have a '65 C-10, in the California central valley, with a bit of rust, but not that bad. Next spring I'm moving to Iowa and want to know what, if any, special considerations I should take concerning rust? I've heard nothing but horror stories about salt on the roads, etc. I'm assuming it would be a good idea to keep it garaged in the winter.

I was back there just a couple months ago and was amazed at how many cars only 10 years old had serious rust-through. Yet, some had none, or seemed to have none. Is it a matter of taking care and washing it thouroughly at the end of winter?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Reply to
The Dave©

Dave,

I've lived in Iowa all of my life and yes they use a lot of salt. Now they have a chemical they spray on the roads "Before" we get snow or freezing rain but I don't know if it's better or worse. If I was you I would have the truck steam cleaned underneath and undercoated. If you have to drive it in the snow & slush the secret is to wash it as soon as possible. Keeping it garaged would certainly be the best if you can do it. I have a '67 Chevy Shortbox fleetside that I drive when it's cold but not when the roads are shitty. I just bought a '65 c-10 and if you hang around the group for a couple of days I will put a couple of pictures on my web site and post the link so you can see what Iowa winters do to a vehicle. What part of Iowa are you moving to? I live about 60 miles East of Des Moines.

Leon Rowell

The Dave© wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Thanks for the input. I'm moving to the Cedar Rapids area. I'd like to see those pictures, yes.

Reply to
The Dave©

Dave,

I got the pictures put on the web site. You will know which ones they are, just click on them. If you click on the "Misc" link you can take a look at my '67 pickup & some of my other cars too.

Leon

The Dave© wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Might help if I included the link. This is a personal web page, no ads or popups.

Dave,

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Very nice. You're more into restoring than I am. I'm almost embarrassed to show you mine. I want to fix it up decent, but still use it as a work/camping truck. I bought it in July 2003 and have been concentrating on the engine first and just about have that done. You can check it out here:

The name isn't really Dave, as you'll see, and there's a very uninteresting story behind that. I see you're from Montezuma. My sister used to live in Grinnell and now lives in Marion.

Reply to
The Dave©

Why would anyone want to move to iowa?? Nothing here to brag about.

Reply to
LARRY929

Wash it at the end of winter? No, you wash it at least once a week including underbody. That's how you prevent rust in the saltbelt.

Cheers, - JJ in Wisconsin now formerly Fremont, CA

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my