Motor Oil

What motor oil weight & brand would I use in my 66 Nova, 230 6 cylinder that would have the proper additives for this vintage engine?

On 9/24/2013 6:18 PM, Marty wrote:

You may want to consider both an oil and an additive to replace the now missing zinc that has been removed from formulas. Lucas has a good additive IIRC. Virtually any engine with flat tappets would benefit from such an additive. However, if you are not driving a lot, (say only a few thousand miles a year) virtually any straight 30 weight oil will be fine.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Recalling what used to use in my father's 62 Chrysler and my 69 Plymouth, I'd guess about any 10w-30 pr 10w-40 would be fine. Only if you're in a very warm climate would I go anything as heavy as straight 30. No, it won't "burn," but no, it won't lubricate nearly as much during the first few minutes of a cold start as a lighter oil.
The heavier weights were popular with people who survived WWII and didn't want oil burning at all during the shortages. However, they didn't realize that their engines--particularly the main and rod bearings--were wearing a lot more during the first few minutes of running.
My father used to tell me to run the engines right on the "add oil" mark so the oil lasted longer. I used to tell him the war had been over for twenty years and I wanted the engine to last forever. Back when the assumption was you only could get 100,000 miles out of an American V-8, I got 145,000 out of my Chevy wagon on 10w40 without burning a quart between 3000-5000 mile oil changes--and fell prey to "I want a mini-van" and traded it off before I knew what it really was going to do.
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:18:00 +0000, Marty