MPG question

Hello,
I realize that this probably question will probably make me look somewhat stupid, but eh..
So anywho, I have the chance to purchase a Chevy 65 half ton pickup, with a
292 in it. I'm not exactly sure of the gears though, and the guy who's selling it said it looked like a 350 (?). It's has an auto 3 speed.
What should the mpg be? When I asked him, he said it could be around 20, and as extremely excited I'd be about that (or hell, 15), that number just doesn't seem to be realistic. From the people I've asked, I've gotten the impression that it would be (if I'm lucky) single digits if I'm lucky.
I would much rather have 15 than 8, but 8 just seems more realistic.
thanks to anyone who can help (and doesn't flame)
--
" I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do.
And for the people who like country music, denigrate means "put down."-- Bob
Dan wrote:

thanks Jeff, and lord almighty I hope you're right!
I figure it will mainly be a "in town" driver for a while, just to the store, or dinking around, nothing major until I get it restored/fixed to my liking. My goal would be to make it a daily driver (it might be that already actually) and something I could go on long trips in (to Idaho, as I'm in Oregon), but I don't expect that to be the case anytime soon.
Like I said, I hope you're right about it.