MPG question

Hello,

I realize that this probably question will probably make me look somewhat stupid, but eh..

So anywho, I have the chance to purchase a Chevy 65 half ton pickup, with a

292 in it. I'm not exactly sure of the gears though, and the guy who's selling it said it looked like a 350 (?). It's has an auto 3 speed.

What should the mpg be? When I asked him, he said it could be around 20, and as extremely excited I'd be about that (or hell, 15), that number just doesn't seem to be realistic. From the people I've asked, I've gotten the impression that it would be (if I'm lucky) single digits if I'm lucky.

I would much rather have 15 than 8, but 8 just seems more realistic.

thanks to anyone who can help (and doesn't flame)

Reply to
Dan

Jeff Gross scribbled:

thanks Jeff, and lord almighty I hope you're right!

I figure it will mainly be a "in town" driver for a while, just to the store, or dinking around, nothing major until I get it restored/fixed to my liking. My goal would be to make it a daily driver (it might be that already actually) and something I could go on long trips in (to Idaho, as I'm in Oregon), but I don't expect that to be the case anytime soon.

Like I said, I hope you're right about it.

Reply to
Dan

I see no reason why you can't get over 20 with a small block if it's tuned right. I just sold a Suburban (1977) with a 454 that got about 15 mpg on the freeway. The mileage didn't get down to single digits until the truck had +330k on it. Your gearing will determine a lot as well as driving habits (of course).

Cheers, - Jeff G

Dan wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Gross