Mustang II front end on a 1950 chevy deluxe cab

I have a 1950 Chevy deluxe cab with a stock Mustang II front end. I replaced the bushings in the lower control arms. I am now trying to get the lower control arms back into the crossmember. I have tried a
side-to-side motion hoping to "walk" it back in, similar to how I got it out, but it is too tight to force it back in. The crossmember appears to be too narrow to get the arms back in. Do I need to spead the crossmember? Are there any special tools or tricks I should try? Thanks!
Michael
This is an old post:
But I'll try anyway!
Try getting a ten ton Porta-Power from someone if you don't already have one. Use the spreader jaws inside the lower control arm pocket, and lightly hammer on the crossmember where the rolled edges are. Allowing it to spread a bit. LIGHTLY!
Then try fitting the control arm again. Repeat if necessary!
Refinish King
PS Why the hell a mustang 2 front end, when you can make something better?

Cut it off and put a Volare clip on. It's still better than having a sliding-cross-shaft-equipped Pinto front end.
Mark
On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:55:21 -0600, cgccpres98 wrote:

Even that's a little dated and heavy:
Plus they don't hold an alignment very well.
Make a center crossmenber from 5x4x.125 box tubing, or use 2x6x.125 then cut miters to wrap it around, you can make the engine cradle, the lower a-arm mount, and upper a-arm mount all in one modular piece.
Buy off the shelf tubular a-arms, coil overs, and adapt from a Vega, Pinto to a just about anything rack and pinion. You'll have the most rigid, the most adjustable front end that can be had!
Just my thoughts!
Refinish King

With a Volare front end you have torision bars that you can adjust for front end height.
True, but they would be under the hood and impede on the engine compartment space?
Respectfully Submitted.
Refinish King

OK, bullshit aside, if one wants to make this truck ride somewhat decent, corner halfway decent, and use cheap, readily-available replacement parts in the front end, find yourself an 80s GM G-body and swap that clip in. My buddy Nelson pulled it off on his GMC, and the fitment was quite nice. The track-width is close enought that juggling wheel-offsets is sufficient to keep everything kosher. Plus, any idiot at Joe's Alignment Shop can dial the thing in if the owner just says, "Pretend it's an '86 Monte Carlo." Marky
On Sun, 30 May 2004 20:03:49 -0600, Refinish King wrote:

Damn good idea!
Refinish King

One other vote for that G body clip is that Belltech makes both dropped spindles and springs for it if you need to "get down" or just would like it lower than it came out after the splicing is over. Both items are a bolt on swap, the spindles drop 2 inches and I think the springs drop either another 2 or 3 inches. Also the aftermarket is loaded with a variety of sway bars, shocks, and poly bushings if you feel like you need them.
The most important thing is that the clip is grafted safely and correctly to the frame.
-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"

I like that front X-Member idea even more now!
Time to hit the bone yards and clean them out, like everyone did with the Mustang 2 front ends.
What a great idea, and it even looks like a real front end when you're finished!
Thank you again Gentlemen!
Refinish King