My th400 pan gasket leaks, how do I stop it?

Page 1 of 3
I have tried to replace this gasket 4 times now. I have a brand new pan, and I always torque to 8-10 foot pounds. From the looks of it, it leaks down the bolts somehow. I always see the oil
welling up on a couple of bolts. I have tried rubber, cork, and fiber composite gaskets. I never use rtv or any sealant as it is not recommended, but I am about ready to put some on out of desperation, just have to be careful not to let it squeeze out to the inside of the pan. It is not a huge leak, but it frustrates the hell out of me that I cannot seem to stop a simple leak, and I am tired of seeing that oil on my garage floor. And it is only ten bucks for a new gasket so every couple of weeks I'll try again, and I'll probably be trying again this weekend too.
If anyone has experience with this give me a clue.
H.

Too much torque. You're smashing the gasket. 60-65 inch pounds is more like it. If you're using a 3/8 drive torque wrench, you don't have the accuracy needed at the lower range of the scale, get an inch pound torque wrench.

and

and
I'll try that next time.
thanks.

==========I disagree...........
He's either got a Chrome pan......... or the bolt holes are PUCKERED...(i doubt that one)...... or the leak IS NOT a pan gasket leak.
there ......i said it.......now i feel better.
:)
~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a sip of his crownroyal..........mmmmmm...good stuff~ ~:~
In article < snipped-for-privacy@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com

That's not disagreeing, that's other possibilities.
10 ft.lbs. -is- too much The bottom range (20%) of a 3/8" torque wrench, any torque wrench is not very accurate

===================He said it was likely pan bolt torque............
I said it wasn't.
~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a toke......disagrees that it's not disagreeing~ ~:~
In article < snipped-for-privacy@o42g2000hsc.googlegroups.co m>,

Who he? Certainly wasn't the original poster.

I said it was. Got it now?
It is entirely possible that when the Chinaman punched this pan he was worrying about his tea ration being cut back if he didn't punch out 5000 that day.It wasn't done right and there is a flaw. I would check it carefully with a straight-edge over each hole and look for any splits. Look above the leak area for a higher leak (already mentioned in thread),and if it still leaks with the correct torque which BTW is 12 (TWELVE) Ft. Lbs.according to the GMC shop manual in front of me,then please re-post.

Wow, nice to see the passion guys LOL!!!
Well it IS a chrome pan, Marsh Monster mentioned that. And the holes aint puckered. I have a Haynes manual and it says 10, I do have a inch pound wrench and I get it to 120 inch pounds actually. I have never gone crazy on it and tried to torque it down to 30 foot pounds. If I seal it up and fill it up, it does not leak. If I go for a drive, get the fluid hot, check the fluid level to make sure it is just right then park it, it still does not appear to leak for quite some time. But the next morning... %&$*ing leaks. I figure if it were a leak somewhere else it would be evident soon after driving and bringing it up to temp then parking it, but it waits about 6 to 8 hours.
Thanks for the info. H

Clean the pan and all around the transmission real well. Then clean the pan and gasket surface real well and install a new gasket with a bit of high tac on it. Torque it down and then fill it up with fluid. Now take some baby powder and dust around the gasket and around any seal point (TV cable, shift shaft, dip stick tube and such). Then take it for a drive and see where the powder gets damp. That will tell you where the leak is. Once your done just take it through a car wash and clean it up.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Q: to the bolts that show leakage go through the casting? (Are the holes openended?)

T'was me, I'd take a grinding disc and remove that fancy chrome stuff from the sealing surface of the pan. No amount of sealer will seal a chrome tranny pan.
Yo! Marshie...pass the shroom juice. :-) -- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

================== Indian Head Gasket Shellac
and that's all i gotta say bout that
:)
~:~ marsh ~pours one fer duh Crowman........good to see ole friends~ ~:~
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 17:52:07 -0800 (PST), Marsh Monster

Nah, I'm a Permatex aviation adhesive kinda guy. Either way, sounds like we're both old school.

Check out my new gig:
http://www.vincesvintage.net /
(I"m the big guy in the middle) -- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

================ I'll tell YOU how to permanantly......(did i spell that rite cuda?).. stop that leak........
if you'll post for all to see.........
that I...me alone...all by meself.......ama freek'n REPAIR GAWD.
yep..i will......promise.
anywhoooooooo......... did i mention......i jest recently....... left......... the tranny biz after 18 years in it..??
no...? oh...ok.
:)
~:~ marsh ~takes a sip of his crownroyal..packs his pipe....~ ~:~
What are you doing now Marsh Dog?
Bending frames with your Kansas Jack?
LOL
RK

In article < snipped-for-privacy@y5g2000hsf.googlegroups.com

"Recently left" can mean a lot of things.

================BEST ADVICE AWARD!!
but then.......i reeely wasn't after it.......i've got plenty.
:)
~:~ marsh ~takes a toke......goooooooood stuff~ ~:~
In article < snipped-for-privacy@a35g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>,

You claimed it's because the pan is chrome.
No mention of chrome in that post.
So, is it chrome or is it a flaw in the pan?