My th400 pan gasket leaks, how do I stop it?

Page 2 of 3
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 05:29:18 GMT, aarcuda69062

Read the rest of the thread. The OP said this later on.

I agree wiith MM. Since I now do custom and hot rod work instead of woriking in a dealer, those cheap assed chrome pans, timing covers and valve covers have become the bane of my existance. They look pretty, but they'll all leak sooner or later. Usually much sooner than a plain steel or aluminum piece. I grind the chrome on the sealing surfaces, use a little Aviation Permatex, and it's good to go. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Yes, the OP revealed later on that the pan is chrome plated. That makes MM's reply a good guess and nothing more. Marsh also indicates that the cause could be a flawed pan (excluding that -chromed- is a flaw) which is it then?

That lucky guesses are good?

None of which makes Marsh the 'gawd" he thinks he is.

And torque the bolts to 15 ft.lb.?
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:33:54 GMT, aarcuda69062

Guess? Possibly, but surely an educated one. I don't see you arguing with the fact that chrome pans are more likely to leak(as indicated above. Seeing that none of us but the OP can actually see and put our hands on the vehicle, we're *all* guessing, really.

Hey, it *never* hurts ot guess right.

Hmm, sounds like you've got issues. Won't get into it, nope, not at all.

Don't have the service manual to answer that one. Whatever it calls for, of course. 15ft lbs does sound like a bit much though. I'd probably stay in the 10-12 ft lb range. That's about the torque my Snap-On 1/4' drive air ratchet puts out at 90psi of shop air. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Or a sock puppet.

whoopie!
No shit. And I didn't after that fact was revealed by the OP.

Not really. He stated what he was torquing the bolts to, I know from 39 years of experience in spite of what's listed in the FSM that -that- is too much torque, here is where you enter and disagree and list your three possibilities which in fact were NOT and still aren't in disagreement with what I said.

It was still a guess.

Again, you look desperate.
In article

Should read; here is where MM enters and disagreed and listed his three possibilities.
Didn't mean to attribute that exchange to you OC.
You claimed it's because the pan is chrome.
No mention of chrome in that post.
So, is it chrome or is it a flaw in the pan?- Hide quoted text - ================== My FIRST reply to the OP gave THREE possibilities.....
THE FIRST ...was that he had a chrome pan.
again......scroll up......reeeed whut i rote not whut you red.
:)
and.......as to yer LAST sentence in this reply..... The pan gasket "almost" ALWAYS LEAKS on chrome pans when gasket shellec isn't used.
again.....please reeed whut ima rite'n not whut yer a reed'n.
~:~ marsh ~drops a shroom in cuda's coffee whilst he isn't look'n........ there......that'll git his brain rite~ ~"~
In article < snipped-for-privacy@e1g2000hsh.googlegroups.com

Your first reply was you claiming to disagree, which in fact was you offering "other possibilities."
I responded based upon the facts the OP gave, which I still stand behind (too much torque).
Did I disagree with the possibilities that you offered Marsh?

I do read what you write, bad as it may be to decipher...
...but that's not my fault. Seems to me you should take your own advice.

====== you're wrong.....i'm rite.....
undertand??
:)
~:~ marsh ~sips his shroomjuice~ ~:~
In article < snipped-for-privacy@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com

Really? How can you be certain?

Nope.

============read the thread...........
i'm certain i'm RITE.
anywhoooooo........there's NO WAY i can be wrong.......
:)
again.......read my FIRST reply to the thread
:)
~:~ marsh ~takes a toke.......mmmmmm.......good stuff~ ~:~
In article < snipped-for-privacy@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com

Because you're there to see it?

Because you're there to see it.

The one where you offer different possibilities whilst claiming to disagree.
Read what you -rote-, not what you wish I said.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?tmplframe=EndecaCategoryView&storeId 101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2000989&reviewflag=1&productId 00989&catalogId614&langId=-1 Install a aluminum pan.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?tmplframe=EndecaCategoryView&storeId 101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2000989&reviewflag=1&productId 00989&catalogId614&langId=-1

Damn that's an expensive pan. I see that it comes with washers for the bolts, maybe I need that.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?tmplframe=EndecaCategoryView&storeId 101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2000989&reviewflag=1&productId 00989&catalogId614&langId=-1

============ nope..that's not what you need......
you need sealant.
:)
ok......so you didn't post that i was a freek'n Repair Gawd...
i told you anywhoo..
:)
~:~ marsh ~drops another shroom in the boiling pot......mmm..... goood batch~ ~:~
In article < snipped-for-privacy@d27g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>,

Works for all the hacks.

================ A $3 bottle of Idian Head Gasket shellac.......would be cheaper.
if........the pan gasket is the leak.
anywhooo...you shudd'nt put THAT pan back on without the sealant either way.
fact.......not fiction.
~:~ marsh ~takes a sip of the shroom juice........mmmmmm....... get'n better everyminute~ ~:~
also coat both sides of the new gasket with vaseline,,,,,,,,,worked for me.

also coat both sides of the new gasket with vaseline,,,,,,,,,worked for me. ================ giggle
chuckle
lol
rotflol
rotflmao
ROTFLMAFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HE SAID TO DO WHAT???????????????
ROTFLMAO ! ! ! ! !! ! ! !
~:~ marsh ~takes a toke.......wow......~ ~:~
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 17:50:10 -0800 (PST), Marsh Monster

Wonder if he's the same guy that said you should coat one surface with oil before you use RTV on a gasket over in the Jeep group?
Here...put *this* in you pipe...and smoke it. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM