New to group, and need help...

Page 1 of 2
I'm trying to restore my Grandpas 1965 Ford F250 and I could really use some help... I've been working on this truck - on and off - for years but now I really need to get focused and get it done. Being such a
simple, basic vehicle you would think it would be easy to do - but it seems like every time I go into a parts store, the kids behind the counter have no clue how to look up parts for something that's not in the computer. Took them 30 min. to get me a set of points for the thing and the kid helping me had no clue as to what purpose they served. currently, I'm working on the steering column, I'm looking for the pin that connects the shifter lever to the 3 speed column shift collar. I just ordered the other related parts from LMC but they don't carry the pin and I don't have the original. Does anyone know of a good source for these? Or maybe something else besides a screw, bailing wire and duct tape? Any help would be appreciated, thanks...
-Dave
puked:

You might have to 'McGuiver' some of that stuff together. I know that resto parts for a three on the tree are few and far between. I have a 66 El Camino with one. The collar finally gave up the ghost and I converted it to a floor shifter (it really wasn't original when I bought it). Here's a page that helped me along the way, and there's a company that sells parts listed on the page that may have what you're looking for:
http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/2000/wip3a.htm
http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cgi/htmlos.exe/0074.2.089757683000029038
It's for Chevys, but maybe you can get some ideas... -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Sorry to say it, but you may have to turn to junk yards for some hard to find parts.
Your experience with the parts counter morons is pretty typical. It's sad that they can't get competent folks back there - or at least someone that knows SOMETHING about auto parts beyond "rims", NOS stickers and misc bling-bling.

If it was a Chevy, I could send you a half dozen on line sources. I'm sure someone from the Ford camp will oblige. Under the category of, "when I was a kid and had to walk 2 miles through the snow to get to school", I remember when there were real Auto Parts Men. In the late 70s I bought a 52 Studebaker 1 ton pick up that had been rolled, just a little wrinkling in the roof, glass came through ok, and needed a clutch. As I recall I paid $50 for the truck. A friend of mine recommended that I deal with his parts guy. A parts guy my friend had followed from store to store as the parts guy moved from job to job. I got directions to his current store and went. I walked in, asked for the guy, and said, "Mike sent me, and I need a clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and pilot bushing for a '52 Stude 1 ton pick up". He looked at me, ignored the 6 feet of parts catalogs on the counter, walked to the shelf pulled all the parts and put them on the counter and said, "The core charge is $5." From then on, he was my parts guy too.
--
-------
Charly Coughran

Core charge on a clutch? Wow, that is a parts guy... -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

untill recently all rebuilt clutches had a core charge. Your showing your lack of age youngster. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup

I wonder if he would believe me that once upon a time brake shops routinely rebuilt both master and wheel cylinders in the shop. "I grow old, I grow old, I will wear my trousers rolled." -TSE
--
-------
Charly Coughran

==================================="Once upon a time?"
I must be living a fairy tale life....
Of course, I do a little more to them than just rebuild.
Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way
Sierra Specialty Automotive

Very smooth way to get an advertisement in. Yes you are living a fairy tale life. You also rebuilt the master and brake cylinders in my Chevy 5 window. Nice job. How's that for a free plug.
--
-------
Charly Coughran

LOL. That's the best news I heard all day! -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Thanks for all of the feedback. I did try all of the "real" auto parts stores and surprisingly I came across a few older guys who actually knew what I was talking about. I also talked to a guy over at a "commercial" Ford truck parts dealer. He looked for about 10 min and finally found it in a book. Unfortunately, it isn't a roll pin, that would just fall straight through, it's a "Spring Pin" and Ford no longer makes/carries them. I also hit a couple of wrecking yards and the few 3 speeds I found all had the shifter rigged with something else. I will keep looking until I get my parts in but if I can't find one I guess I will have to make one. If I figure something out I will let you all know. Thanks again....
-Dave
-----
"I used to have a handle on life - but it broke"
A roll pin will work, you might have to grind it down to the right length . They are very hard to cut with hack saw.
Hey Dave, A "Spring Pin" is AKA a roll-pin or a split-pin. See http://www.engineersedge.com/roll_pin.htm for detailed specifications and sizes.
If it is falling through, you need a larger size. It should be slightly larger than the hole it goes into such that you have to drive it in with a hammer and punch. As previously said, you should be able to get at a hardware supplier or order online such as:
3/32 x 3/4 Roll Spring Tension Pin,Steel, 100 Per Box, $2.36
From Barnhill Bolt @ http://www.barnhillbolt.com/acb26/ShowOptions.cfm?&DID=7&User_ID 10327&st16&st2304380&st3=-37465469&CATIDY&ObjectGroup_IDY6&GroupCode50&MenuCode20&GroupIcon=Tensnpin%2Egif
Good Luck,
Razorblade

Try
http://www.mcmaster.com /
Enter roll pin in the parts finder search box, and you will be shown a variety of pins which are called roll pins or split pins. Choose the one which is most likely to do the job.
--
-------
Charly Coughran
dbpbandit wrote:

I ran into the same problem last weekend at O'Reilys The kid didn't even know what a 1/4" brass plug or a reducer was. I had to go behind the counter to the fitting storage cabinet and show him..... Amazing.
Leon Rowell
dbpbandit wrote:

AW yes the younger generation