Oil Leaks, gaskets or goop?

Hi,
I've got a old engine in my 1966 and it leaks a bit of oil. Looks like valve cover, oil pan, rear main seal and front main seal are likely culprits.
Looking at recent work recently done by Chevrolet on my 1994 and reading some magazine articles it looks like gaskets are not necessarily the only method of sealing engines. I've seen use of glues/sealers, such as Permatex brand, in some applications.
What do you recommend? Gaskets or glues/sealers? Both and which is used where?
Thanks in advance, Charlie
Charlie wrote:

You can work them around with the eraser end of a pencil. No leaks on my iron...

success. DON'T follow the instructions on the glue can. Apply and get everything together, aligned and tightened while the cement is still wet. If you follow the directions and let the cement dry before touching the gasket to metal it will stick and you won't be able to move it.
- Regards Gordie
The Nolalu Barn Owl wrote:

GM used a lot of blue RTV to glue together some of their previous mistakes. It works. Don't go by the instructions if you are going to use this. Put it on, tighten it down, and let it cure for several hours (overnight, 24 hours, whatever you can tolerate).
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

excess can separate from it's point of application and find it's way into the oil pan, then to the oil pump, etc...
for pan and valve covers i use type b gasket maker , i get in in caulking size tube from chevy dealer as gm is only place i can find it.it bonds and dries like hard rubber... surfaces must be clean,and wipe down with some laquer thinner. put a bead on and tighten bolts gentlty just till it starts to oozz out and let dry overnight. be sure to clean the bolts in some laquer thinner. i find engines dont leak doing this.but its permanent and if you have to take it apart at some time, you will have to reseal it again.... lucas
Thanks to all that replied to the post.
Sounds like the popular choice is 1. Use appropriate gaskets whenever possible 2. Use contact cement to hold/seal gasket surfaces 3. Use RTV, sparingly, where needed
Cheers, Charlie