Re: 1963 C10 engine code & Electronic Ignition

http://www.inliners.org /
Casting #'s section
has a link to
http://www.butlers-a1.com/chevym.htm
which has this information:
1967-72 <- year
     250 <- C.I.D. LITRE BORE CYL. 4.1 3.875 L-6      7" from Rear Dip <-- DESCRIPTION 2 Bolt Starter.      3850817 3854036 3877178 3994257 <-- there you are/ BLOCK CASTING NUMBER      3927763 3895052 <-- HEAD CASTING NUMBER      3876802 <-- CRANK CASTING NUMBER      3621 <-- PART NO. (not sutre if this part numebr is for that company or a chevy part number)
--------------------
http://www.stovebolt.com - all pre-1973 general motors trucks / be sure to check out their vast links sections for parts vendors and suppliers.
http://www.chevytalk.com <- anything with a chevrolet bowtie on it, car, truck or van - check out the 60-66 trucks and vans forum
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com <- started as 67-72 - now includes 47 - current chevy/gmc trucks
all forums are free to register at and use.
http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/autolinks/trucks/ctgparts.html <-parts vendors list
inline six performance parts vendors:
http://www.cliffordperformance.com /
http://www.stoveboltengineco.com /
--------
yes there is a electronic ignition for the inline sixes - but you'll hafta poke around on thsoe pages and ask someone.
all of that information should keep you busy for awhile.
if you want to know, you must read. :)
-dt
wrote:

-tdt®
--
and there was thunder, thunder over thunder road
thunder was his engine and white lighting was his load
and there was thunder, thunder over thunder road
thunder was his engine and white lighting was his load
✖
The 235 engine was last used in cars and trucks in 1962. The 1963 model year base engine was the 230 inch 6 for the small trucks. The 292 was optional. Both are derived from the same basic engine design which is nothing at all like the old 236 / 261 engines. The side covers on a 230 are approx 4 inches tall and the 292 covers are approx 6 inches tall. Thats is the quickest way to see if it is a 292 or one of the smaller 6's.
An HEI distributer from the mid 70's 250 / 292 engine will drop right in. Avoid any of the very late HEI's that don't have a vacuum advance diaphragm as these must be run with a computer control engine management system.
-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"
Hello
I just bought a 63 C10 and the engine code on it is 3994257. The motor is a strait 6. Does anyone know what engine this is???? Also does anyone know if there is an electronic iginition that would fit this application?
Thanks,
-- Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Classic-Trucks-1963-C10-engine-code-amp-Electronic -Ignition-ftopict123159.html Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pY8981
Add pictures here
✖
"Rufus T. Firefly" wrote:

I do not believe I would do that with that old a truck engine (even if rebuilt) because the old conventional distributor had a lot more generous built in mechanical advance as well as vacum too. The newer HEI ones with emission friendly and not good for overall performance in a older non smog engine.
Add pictures here
✖
"The Devil’s Thirst®" wrote:

about 30 years ago I had a 66 chevy 3/4 ton that had a factory 250 in it that I got at a estate sale. That truck was one tuff old bird but with few creature comforts too.
✖
Are you looking for something like this?
http://www.pertronix.com/ignition_products/ignition_catalog.htm
Ignition & Ignitor II Automotive Applications
ptx05_auto.pdf / 574 kb size
informaiton below from the above document.
1974-63 <- model year (I chose this cuz of the block number for your engine)
6 <- number of cylinders
All models . . . . .
Distributor make: Delco
Ignitor part number: 1162A