Re: Death to all drunk drivers

Yes the illegal drivers should be stopped, how about death to drug dealers also?

Reply to
LARRY929

uh nobody the fines are uncollected

Reply to
captain bob

Sad that people make such blanket judgements.

True drunk drivers are a menace. But not every drunk driver set out to be one. And, according to the law, at .08 one is legally drunk. I, with 20+ years of law enforcement, have run across so many "drunk drivers" that could easily pass field sobriety tests, yet if run on the breathalyzers or BAT, they'd fail. And how many young drivers, in the HS and college age bracket drink enough to fall into the blanket category of being a drunk driver, essentially because they lack the experience to recognize their limitations?

I'm not condoning drunk driving. I'm only pointing out that even very good people can make mistakes. They are not scum.

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

V'ger had writtennews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I agree and the reverse scenereo is when a sober person drives at speeds unsafe to everyone else. Their judgement is not impaired but their driving habits indicate a total unconcern for others.

Reply to
Barney

It's also true that more accidents are caused by oldsters traveling too SLOW on freeways, etc. and by youngers traveling too fast.

I can not believe how many local kids, often several at one time, we have lost in this rural region, due to speed or drunk driving. They make a big deal out of how many troops we have lost in Iraq, and yet we lose far more young people every year on the nations highways. Actually, the number lost in Iraq is very low. Less than the military average for losses in daily duty and training accidents in peacetime. Guess it's ok to lose kids and GIs in training or daily living but not in combat because everyone notices the combat but not the daily losses.

And, quite often, if a vehicle crosses the median into oncoming traffic, it will be an older person who has had a stroke. True sleep can cause this but less often.

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

V'ger had writtennews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I guess it depends where you live. I live on an island that includes many mountainous highways. Slow to 50KPH is not a bet but fact yet we have several drivers who say not. Slow drivers are comon in the local city and most drivers accept that. On the Praires in Saskatchewan, Alberta & Manitoba you can see ahead where you'll be in an hour. Those drives do cause people to nod off. It's more of a fact with automatics and cruise control. The city of Vancouver has had recent incidents of street racing and several deaths including an RCMP who was broad sided going through an intersection on a green light. A lot of city drivers follow the rule Amber light means floor it.

Reply to
Barney

Not much different here.

Some of the places I have been - Azores islands, Japan, Okinawa, etc, where they have low speed limits actually has not reduced the accident rate all that much. Although Some places are much stricter than others. In Portugal, at night, it;s legal to drive without lights as long as you are in a well lit area.... which can be the lights from a store window light up a little patch of street. What was really bad was all the cobblestone streets, especially up in the mountains. My old 72 Mustang was last seen shedding pieces as it rolled to the bottom.

As for the accident stats, it does depend. Those are averages nati>V'ger had