Woodward Cruise / Blackout

Well gang we made the trip ok and arrived Tuesday eve around 7:30 after a

740 mile run from the Boston area to Waterford ( Pontiac almost ) MI. Total for the entire trip was just under 1700 miles.

The massive power failure sort of threw the whole cruise week a big curve but by Saturday moring most locales along the route were up and running on an energy saving level. A big worry for a lot of the cruise goers was without power then the gas stations couldn't run their pumps. A second almost as serious problem was no power to run refrigerators to keep essential beverages cold and ice was becoming a semi precious commodity in the over 90 degree temps and extreme humidity. But by the wee hours of Saturday morning most areas along the Avenue had at least limited power and things appeared bright again for the big day.

This was the first big trip for my 37 Chevy and Chris's 36 Chevy and except for his HEI module letting go before we even got out of Massachusetts, the entire run was uneventful for both cars. They ran like well oiled tops and drove smooth, straight and comfortable. In the midst of Saturday's Worlds Biggest Intentional Traffic Jam the 37 never went over 195 and the 36 reached the 200 mark only once.

For those who wonder about such things the 37 with a potent 250 inline 6 got a best highway mileage of 21.9, and the 36 with a ZZ4 350 got a best of

16.7. Both cars have Muncie 4 speeds. 37 has a 3.36 gear and the 36 has 3.55. Highway cruising was 70 to 75 most of the time and a few runs at 80 when we could get away with it. Gas mileage during the actual Cruise was devastating on both cars!!!

Met a lot of new "friends" and caught up with several older ones as well. It always feels like you've come home when you meet up with the follks you've cruised with in past years and we always look forward to seeing everyone again.

So what did we do for excitement while the lights were out? Well lets just say that at our age the wife and I won't have any little passengers with us next year when we go back to Woodward. ;-))

-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly