4 seat classic car

: The best car Jaguar never made. I want one. Looks beautiful, goes like a : Granny on speed and I can fit my daughter's double bass in the back. What : more could a chap ask?

Just a shame that the back end was obviously done by a chap who wished he was working on an Austin Princess hearse conversion.

Yeugh.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: Colin wrote: : : > I am looking to sell my two MGB's (1.8 & 3.9L) and replace them with one : > classic that will carry four people (two very small ones) : > The GT6 looks good, but does it have proper rear seats or is it a shelf?? : > Any other ideas. : : Triumph Vitesse Convertable.

Fine, as long as you don't want to go round corners. If you do, a Herald with overdrive is much nicer.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Andy Dingley ( snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Gamma coupe or berline base?

The Gamma coupe (and Fiat 130 coupe) - quite possibly the best ever use of flat panels and straight lines...

Reply to
Adrian

: On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 19:42:57 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) : wrote: : : >Triumph Vitesse Convertable. : : A Herald / Vitesse is a usable 2+2 but it's stretching things to call it : a 4 seater. The convertible is even smaller at the back.

I've carried four adults in Herald saloons and convertibles lots of times. It's not a big car, but it's far bigger than a 2+2, and pretty good by sixties standards.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Neither really go round corners that well, so I'd have to have the one with that lovely, snorty inline 6.

Reply to
SteveH

: > Fine, as long as you don't want to go round corners. If you do, a : > Herald with overdrive is much nicer. : : Neither really go round corners that well, so I'd have to have the one : with that lovely, snorty inline 6.

Hmm. Shouldn't that have been "lovely, snorty, grotesquely heavy, not terribly powerful inline 6"

I wish Reliant had produced a 1700 V8 from two 850's. I was very tempted by a brand new OHC 850 (small production run at the factory for some rallying project) but a grand was just too much for me - though not, I think, for the engine.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Yebbut - the saloon didn't have a tailgate. Like the GS - looks as though it should, but it doesn't.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

For something built in the 60s they weren't all that badly lacking in power - anyway, who cares about the weight when you have that sound?

Reply to
SteveH

Coupe I think. They were made as show cars and pretty much hand done.

I'd certainly agree for the 130.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If I said Dino 308gt4 few would know what it was and in any case my log book says Ferrari. I don't think the op put a ceiling price, after all the value of 2 mgbs would buy, errmm 2 mgbs

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

A lambo urraco was the car that left an indelible impression on me as a youngster. (A good impression I hasten to add) And it seated more than two adults

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

You're missing the point. 308s *are* Ferraris, not Dinos. 246s are Dinos, and although they weren't badged as such, they really are Ferraris and they fetch Ferrari money. A good (and I mean good) Dino

346 will cost you an arm and a leg. A decent 308 or 328 can be had for much more reasonable money. A 348 can be had for even less but who the hell wants one of those? F350s and F355s are now getting within reach, too.
Reply to
Dean Dark

Don't forget the Tiger....! Maybe a bit more £££ than the price of two MGBs though.

Reply to
David Balfour

I owned a Javelin for a short time. Timber floor on an ash frame needs a carpenter rather than a welder to maintain. Column change doesn't suit everyone, and gearbox synchro not up to much. Lots of steering joints to wear too. But amazingly fast for a 1500.

So lovely to own, but in no way practical for a daily driver.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Joke Geoff. Reference to last Sunday's Top Gear supercar for under 20 grand challenge. Incidentally, you need to have your teeth whitened before you can drive one.

David Betts ( snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk) The Classic Car Gallery:

David Betts

Likewise, my 1973 2000 auto lives outside and has done for the whole 14 years it has been my daily driver. It starts first time in spite of being fitted with strombergs rather than SUs, and the only recurring expense is a bit of welding now and again to counter the winter salt tinworm. They are not sought after, which means that they go relatively cheaply for a classic. Certainly the OP could pick up a decent one by selling just one of his two MGBs.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

And that sets them apart from the rest of the Gammas exactly how?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Most cars of the early 50s had poor synchromesh.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Gamma could have been such a nice car. As it was its makers didn't really want it around :(

Was it George Bishop who described it as appearing like a mole in the middle of FIAT's well-tended lawn?

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Bollocks.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon