40 years of the Ford Transit...

Yeah but the Capri never had a V4. You had the Transit V4 1700 and the Corsair Deluxe V4 1700, then you had a

2litre Transit but you also had the Corsair 2000E, which had a larger V4 engine. Transits from about 1970 had a Pinto engine, which would be available in 1600 and 2000 forms and then you had the Deisel with the piggy snout.
Reply to
Barspeed1975

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Rolls Royce BR710 compared to Ford BDH? ;-)

Reply to
Richard Polhill

(sighs)

Some did, and it was a bad thing by all I've heard.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen
[ Context snipped due to top posting ]

Did it not? You seem to know as much about the use of the Ford V4 engine as you know how to post correctly...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I stand corrected, but the pinto looks as though it was used from 1970.

Reply to
Barspeed1975

Barspeed1975 ( snipped-for-privacy@hutmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The Crapi certainly never had the same V4 as the Saab 95/96 and Matra DJet and M530. But it did have the same one as the Transit.

Are you actually READING any of this thread?

Reply to
Adrian

I never made any comment re the Saabs V4 engine, i certainly know that the Saab V4 engine was used in the early 60's Ford Taunus because Ford of Germany had an affiliation with Saab at the time.

Reply to
Barspeed1975

Exactly. But as this is a classic car group a certain amount of ignorance about certain Ford engines - the Transit V4 for one - is, IMHO, excusable. ;-)

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Barspeed1975 ( snipped-for-privacy@hutmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

We're going to have to go back to basics here, aren't we?

Ford - they make cars. They're recognised by a blue oval badge on each end.

The Saab 95/96 used the Taunus v4 bought in from Ford. Same as Matra did. It was a Ford v4 used by Saab, not a Saab v4 used by Ford.

Reply to
Adrian

{Mutter mutter} a certain amount of ignorance about /Ford/ is excusable.. {mutter}.

Still, better F*rd than V*uxh*ll [1]

[1] The last good Vauxhall was designed by Pom Senior
Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

The last Saab engine was the two-stroke, wasn't it?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The v4 was Ford. The 99/900 lump was the Triumph slant four - but VERY heavily developed over the years - not much Triumph left by the time the Swedes had finished with it...

Was the 9000 lump another development of that? Or was that a different lump?

Anything newer is generic GM.

Reply to
Adrian

3-cyl 2-stroke - probably. But that was a development of the DKW 2-cyl engine. I guess you could say that SAAB have developed half an engine during their existance (OK, half an engine twice, given their development of the Dolly-donk).

The SAAB super sport with the oil-injection 750 was intermittently fun, though.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Ex-Dolly, much evolved, IIRC.

The 600s were, of course, straight FIAT.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

9000 was mechanically a Fiat Croma - the engine might have been a joint development, though?
Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Undersides were Tipo Quatro, but the engines were different across the four. Thinking about it, the 9k was indeed the "usual" 900 lump.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

The UK built Capri had the "Essex" V4 2000cc engine until December 1973 (end of Mk1 production) when it was replaced by the Pinto.

The German built Capri had Taunus derived "Cologne" V4 engines in 1300,

1500 and 1700cc capacities from launch until autumn of 1972, when they were tossed out in favour of in-line engines of 1300 or 1600cc. The German 2000cc unit was also a Cologne unit, but a V6 rather than the British V4. It too was dropped in 1972 leaving 2300 and 2600cc Cologne engines, and the introduction in Germany of the 3000cc Essex V6 imported from Britain.

And as for the speed of older diesel Transits, I drove a fairly new (at the time) model that had been hired to Hertfordshire Constabulary during the Miners Strike in 1984. It was incapable of reaching even 60 mph, and on the first "shout" the rest of our convoy of petrol Transits quickly disappeared into the distance leaving our van hopelessly lost in the wilds of Nottinghamshire.

Phil

Reply to
Philip Stokes

Congratulations to the hirer. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

*plonk*
Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

/pretty/ certain that all the 9000s that came to .uk used a transverse-mount development of the 900 twin-cam, though there //may// have been other-market versions with something else. The SAAB/FIAT/Alfa collaboration had a lot of variation in it

- as witness the different front suspension in the Alfa version.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen