40 years of the Ford Transit...

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember ":::Jerry::::" saying something like:

You utter, completely incompetent buffoon. Do you even know what the meaning of the word 'engine' is?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Dean Dark saying something like:

Jerry is the ape sitting by the pool playing with a stick. Sometimes he will turn over a stone with it and sometimes use it to scratch his arse. Both show promise, but it will be a while yet before he invents the lathe.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

haven't heard

I suspect that mechanical wear with the main cam (aka crank) shaft could be a problem and that it would not take kindly to being revolved backwards.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember ":::Jerry::::" saying something like:

Don't be using them teknikal terms Jerry; they don't suit you - in fact they suit you as much as s dinner jacket on an oran utang.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember ":::Jerry::::" saying something like:

Alas, Jerry; we are all lumps of clay, destined to vanish back into Mother Earth. Some of us, however, are more lumpish than others.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

So you will admit that you over simplification of what is a IC engine is wrong?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I know it's more than just the cylinders and pistons...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

: The thing won't work well without a boiler, it is designed to work : with a boiler, anyway a car engine without a fuel system is just a : lump of metal................

Do you think the fuel system is inside or outside the thermodynamic system boundary for the Otto cycle?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: You are a trolling idiot, you arte implying that an IC engine will : work without a fuel supply !....

No.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: I suggest you go and find a clue, you utterly ignorant little moron : troll.

Ooooooh. Sound like someone's wetting his knickers big time.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: The whole frigging thing is the engine, were is the crank-shaft (if : it has one) on a railway steam locomotive.

Erm, between the cranks, just like on any other engine?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember ":::Jerry::::" saying something like:

How can it be over-simplified if it's an attempt to explain it to you?

There's no such thing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

At last a return to proper units of power! Forget BHP, SAE, kilowatts per unit nurdle and all that stuff. Bring back the RPU - the Rice Pudding Unit! The power required to pull the skin off a British Standard rice pudding.

Reminds me of the MilliHelen. A unit of feminine beauty, based on the legend that Helen of Troy had a face which launched a thousand ships. Therefore, one MilliHelen is the required quantity of puchritude to launch one ship. Much more accurate than "Phwoar! - Look at that!" It is of course possible to have a negative value, in which case it would be someone so plug ugly the ships would sink rather than be launched.

Unreconstructed, born before political correctness, still thinks in Fahrenheit and has just bought a postage stamp for 9/3 (nine shillings and thruppence).

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

It's the huge great big thing between the driven wheels. Sometimes they're forged or built-up with internal cranks, sometimes they're external and overhung. But (barring the handful of steam turbines and the geared-drives from separate engines, like the Shay and Hustler) railway steam locomotives have thumping great big crankshafts that are very obvious.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Look at the second order derivatives of the cam profile - they're discontinuous. That's a cam arrangement that will hammer itself to death in short order.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

work

That is irrelevant, the Otto cycle is meaning less without a fuel supply...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

will

So the fuel supply is part and parcel of the 'engine', or are you going to claim that an engine is just cylinder and piston?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

But were are they, considering that people are implying that the mass is not the 'engine'.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

But were are they, considering that some the implying that the mass is not the 'engine'....?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You're a hopeless cause. You'll never understand.

I thank whatever deities are in control of things that you're never going to have any responsibility for any machine(1) that I'll ever use.

Goodbye.

(1) Machine. Look it up. It might be a good place to start, the concept is a bit simpler than 'engine.'

Reply to
Dean Dark