40 years of the Ford Transit...

Sometimes

they're

turbines

Hustler)

mass

In other words, "shit, he has got a point and I'm making a idiot of my self"....

The 'engine' is not just cylinders and pistons.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

He's the living distinction between "mechanic" and "engineer"

Both have oily spanners. One understands the principles too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You really are clueless...

Wow, you must have invented the engine that need to fuel to work...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

: > Do you think the fuel system is inside or outside the thermodynamic : > system boundary for the Otto cycle?

: That is irrelevant, the Otto cycle is meaning less without a fuel : supply...

I'll take that as an "Uh?" then, shall I?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: > : You are a trolling idiot, you arte implying that an IC engine : will : > : work without a fuel supply !.... : >

: > No.

: So the fuel supply is part and parcel of the 'engine', or are you : going to claim that an engine is just cylinder and piston?...

No. You still seem terribly, terribly confused about the relationship between thermodynamic system boundary and engine.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: > : The whole frigging thing is the engine, were is the crank-shaft : (if : > : it has one) on a railway steam locomotive. : >

: > Erm, between the cranks, just like on any other engine?

: But were are they, considering that people are implying that the mass : is not the 'engine'.

What, precisely, do /you/ mean by "engine"?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Jerry, up to now I have resisted killfiling you because you sometimes have worthwhile things to say. However, you seem to be getting more and more rabid and seem to find it difficult to be pleasant or have a difference of opinion without being nasty.

It's a shame but I will killfile you if you can't back off a bit.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

thermodynamic

You can stop trolling, that's for sure.

Or are you still going to claim and expect people to believe that an 'engine' is just the cylinders and pistons and that they work all by them selves without any fuel....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

crank-shaft

What do you, as far as I can see you seem to think that an 'engine is just cylinders and pistons, and anything else is irrelevant to it's working. The fact that you need to ask shows that you know sod all about how a railway steam engine works or built.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

: >

: > : > Do you think the fuel system is inside or outside the : thermodynamic : > : > system boundary for the Otto cycle? : >

: > : That is irrelevant, the Otto cycle is meaning less without a fuel : > : supply... : >

: > I'll take that as an "Uh?" then, shall I? : >

: : You can stop trolling, that's for sure. : : Or are you still going to claim and expect people to believe that an : 'engine' is just the cylinders and pistons and that they work all by : them selves without any fuel....

Still haven't got it, eh?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: > What, precisely, do /you/ mean by "engine"?

: What do you, as far as I can see you seem to think that an 'engine is : just cylinders and pistons, and anything else is irrelevant to it's : working. The fact that you need to ask shows that you know sod all : about how a railway steam engine works or built.

Well, that's buggered my twenty year career as an acedemic engineer. I wonder if I can get a job as a tyre fitter?

As far as I can remember, I have never used a term as sloppy as "engine" in this discussion. You do realise, don't you, that the "internal combustion" or "extrenal combustion" bits of the description refer to the thermodynamic cycle used, and not to the physical construction, don't you?

So why not enlighten us? What do you mean, precisely, by "engine"?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

And Ian, please don't risk introducing Kelvin's statement of the Second Law: you risk being told that an engine working in a cycle must make it a motorbike.

Reply to
Autolycus

I hesitated a long time before joining in this thread... But...

If you go along to the Big Pit Mining Museum in South Wales, you will see a steam locomotive (what you call a steam engine) that has no boiler. It had a insulated pressure tank that was charged with steam from a source outside the mine, so that it could go into the mine and haul out the coal trucks without the risk of a gas explosion.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

It still has a boiler though, doesn't it? Just one that's a bit further away than usual.

Have to confess I can't remember seeing it when I was there. I do remember seeing plenty of compressed air driven machinery, but not the beast you mention. How did they stop the steam condensing in the pipes on the way down?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Actually, it has a share of a boiler, since one boiler charged more than one locomitive.

It was a while ago when I was there, but ISTR it was in one of the outbuildings rather than in the mine itself.

I don't think they did. it was intended to scoot down, collect the trucks and scoot back out before it cooled too much. I suppose they could always flush the condensed water using the next charge of steam. They would have to, I suppose, or the reservoir would gradually fill with water until it didn't hold enough steam to operate.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

: And Ian, please don't risk introducing Kelvin's statement of the Second : Law: you risk being told that an engine working in a cycle must make it : a motorbike.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.

I'll get you for that, you swine.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston