A-frame for towing

If you like laughing at clueless Yanks and their mechanical ineptitude, try Googling for stories of doing this with an auto-box Lexus.

Partly because the Lexus is designed to happily sit idling in gear all day whilst running the aircon, they've powered the auto box oilpump from the input shaft. Obviously this gets unhappy when towed far, so the usual fix is to install an after-market electric oilpump for the gearbox. Chummy here had such an install, with a switch under the bonnet to activate it. But being a moron, he forgot to turn it on, and being American this was of course someone else's fault.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley ( snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Put us out of our misery - URL!

Reply to
Adrian

All autos have the pump driven off the engine. Otherwise you couldn't engage drive. Even with a modern electronically controlled box, the clutches etc are still hydraulically operated.

Some older autos had two pumps - one driven off the propshaft. This allowed towing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think this is the original, but Google for "Lexus self-destruct switch" find many more cites and comments.

Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley ( snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Bwahahahaha. It couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Reply to
Adrian

What's the betting it was one of those Lexuses (Lexi?) with what looks like gold-plated trim? On my travels over there I have found it pays to be extra wary of them.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Surely a simple idea such as wiring it via the oil pressure switch or something so the bypass can't be operated while you are running the engine would solve this problem?

I mean, with Yanks you have to make everything idiotproof.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

It's not just Lexuses, I've seen them on Honda/Acuras, Toyotas, etc. I remember reading somewhere that it's an extra cost dealer item, and that there's one particular car buying demographic that goes for it.

Reply to
Dan Drake