A series engine wanted

Can anybody help? My teenage daughter runs a 1964 Farina A40. Lovely little car, bought through this NG, only 23,000 miles from new. Not concours, dubious respray, but a perfect starter classic. She uses it a lot - lives near Gatwick and commutes to Coventry U doing Mech Eng and Automotive Design. So it's being used, not shown.

Enough of the weepies. She just called from the M40 to say the AA were bringing it in and could she put it in my garage. Apparently an engine fire, caused by oil dripping on to the the exhaust manifold. When it finally arrived here a quick inspection in dubious light tends to indicate a rather more serious problem. If you run your hand down the right hand side of the block (looking from the front) you do not normally expect to encounter pistons and a crankshaft.

So it's gone bang in a big way, which is interesting - I don't recall the BMC A Series as being particularly prone to this. And yes, the oil was OK etc. But there's a fair bit of shrapnel around the engine bay. At least she has her first starter for the Black Museum to match some of the horrible bits of blown engines which Dad has accumulated over the years.

Anyway, question is, does anybody have a suitable engine, as this one is quite clearly beyond repair? I'm not an A Series expert, but to the best of my knowledge it was 1098cc (not the earlier one) and probably went into the A40 and Morris Minor. Possibly even the Marina? Mini ones were basically the same but of course the wrong way round.

Would appreciate any help, as it's not only a "classic" but a working car. Politics not appropriate to this NG, but students are now not only broke but now hugely in debt so any way of getting my daugther back on the road would be appreciated.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Mini Engine from a Breakers ?

Reply to
Igundwane

A mini one would be essentially the same but the business end of the crank is different and not compatible. I would have thought that marina would be favourite from a breakers as the other in line A series are getting a bit scares (as are marinas these days) I have fitted one or two marina 1300 in to moggys I remember some messing with exhaust downpipes and front engine mounting and little else that doesn't mean that there is little else to do though just I can't remember.) There was a 1300 ital and that might be worth a look, it was an A+ engine and a little more developed but much the same, I don't see why one of these wouldn't go in. I have loaned my Dave visard A series bible to someone at the moment otherwise I could have looked some of this stuff up for you. If I find anything out I'll let you know. Andy

Reply to
Andrew Wheeldon

Completely different at the flywheel end! You would have to do a crank swap and even if all the journals were the same after what sounds like a horrific incident I don't think the old crank would be up to it. Andy

Reply to
Andrew Wheeldon

Hi Geoff, Check out your local free-ads papers for someone breaking a Minor, they still seem quite common in this area (Wiltshire) and complete projects are liekely to be cheaper than an engine from a scrapyard. There was a 1098 A-series in some MG Midgets and Austin Healey Sprites, but I'm uncertain what the differences were. If anything comes my way in the next few days I'll let you know, but don't hold your breath as most of what I handle is Triumph powered, Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

Thanks, Bill. Nothing at all in our local papers - just old Japanese stuff. Nobody around here seems to break cars any more (oh, affluent Surrey). If you happen across something suitable in Wiltshire I'll happily come and get it. Hadn't thought of Spridgets but you're right - basically the same engine (apart from the very last ones) but I doubt if any of them are being broken these days.

Hope to find something - the car is far too good to scrap and anyway it's Anna's first car and she'd be heartbroken to see it go to the great crusher in the sky.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Lovely

new. Not

uses it a

Eng and

the AA were

an engine

When it

to indicate a

right hand side

expect to

recall the

the oil was OK

bay. At least

of the horrible

years.

this one is

to the best of

went into the

were basically

working car.

only broke but

the road would

There's a recon lead free 1098 MM engine here. POA.

to be expensive though.www.gwbridges.co.uk might be worth trying as well. Just south of Crawley on the A23, so not too far.

I'd advise you look for a s/h 1098 MM. Complete cars without an MOT can be picked up for under £200.

Local Free Ads 12th Dec (W Sussex) has a 1971 MM for sale. Runner or break for spares. Offers. 01273 831097. That should have the 1098 cc engine. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Many thanks - have emailed the first two and left a message for the third. Will keep you informed.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

In article , Geoff Mackenzie writes

I've got a Minor one sat in the garden. It *did* run but would probably need a fair bit of TLC now.

Reply to
Jamie

Based near Chester, so might be a little far from you, but I just found the following site who claim they're selling off all their Morris Minor stuff including engines.

's no date on the webpage, so it may have been like that for a time. I've emailed them asking about othe parts so will post again if they're a dud.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Not a good sign with only 23k on it. Mine's done nearly 30k now.

Anyway, Minor is your best alternative, unless you want to uprate and go for the 1275 Marina engine. Trouble is, both are getting more diffiult to source from breakers.

Have you tried the A40 Club? Various members may have spares cars and parts. Worth a try. Alan Ratcliffe may be your best bet.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

From my memory, the 1098 engine was a long stroke weak unit which wasn't well suited to motorway work. I had a similar incedent with my Mini despite the engine never having been over reved. I would try for a 1275 engine if possible. They are much more common and last longer. I have seen a nice example of an A35 with an O series engine that looked an easy fit. Good luck.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Thanks, Willy. We're making progress - will keep you informed.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Yes, have tried, but the old grapevine seems to be working well.

Thanks, Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Although the bottom end was strong the standard non S 1275 was a lot less reliable than the smaller units --- piston ring problems (particularly on the Mini 1275GT), exhaust buring valve and major head gasket problems were very common on the larger unit.

Reply to
bonzo

I had a 1275 Midget I thrashed from one end of the country to the other regularly. And never managed to break it. Broke plenty of 948s, though. Apart from S models, I reckon the strongest standard unit was the 850, and the weakest the 803. The early 1100 was rubbish too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Tried ebay?

Minor 1098 engine currently at £4

would do for a rebuild.

Is an A40 devon engine the same ?

as

TurboJo

81

Don't think so - hazy memories of the period, but I think the Devon had an early B Series.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie