about austin metro (yes, no classic yet ;-))

Hi old-tin-worms,

Permit me to ask about the Austin Metro here..

I can buy a Metro from 1990 (Jet Black) with about 110000 km's and an

1.3 engine /4 speed, with a reasonable body for an (asking) 400 Euro's over here..

A few years ago I made a test drive in quite the same model (the earlier one with the small headlamps), an appreciated the go-kart drive of it. Because being a 6+ footer, I liked the plus in space compared to a Mini too..

Are there weak points of this type of car to give special attention before buying? I think the mounting of the vertical spring units in front of the rear wheels is? How about the lower surround of the front screen (I noticed a small rust-spot there)? (I'm aiming at the panel between screen and bonnet).

How do the 1.3 engines last??

Maybe some of you have info from their ownerships or may point to relevant (club??)websites??

TX, rob

Reply to
robwill2

I have had loads of them, there are many bits which fail, but nothing individually is too much trouble, at present I have four, the small headlamps are on both late and early types, so don't just go by that. weakest common parts are front ball joints, most expensive common bits are rear arms, all have the rot by the windscreen, most have rear wheel arch rot. top of inner wings can be difficult to fix, front panel too. heaters block up and are a pain to change.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks a lot for your answer! I assume quality has the level you have to have 4 cars to drive one? ;-))))))))

rob

Reply to
robwill2

NO. One is a spares donor car, one is reserve and not used , one is in constant use as a runabout and loan car, the other is a diesel one that I do not need any more. I find Metros very reliable once sorted out from previous neglect.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful